Build your own 3d printer class
July 20, 2015 03:20PM
If you were going to host or participate in a class that goes from start to finish in building a 3d printer "kit", what do you think you would like to have/see in such a class?

Some parameters for discussion:

Class would involve a beginner's level kit (a cartesian printer, aka mendel 90 or prusa i3 varation); or a corexy using Smartrap Core "box" printer.
One day class, build from start to finish
Basics of each component's purpose and configuration
Minimal "history of, theory of" discussion to maximize live build time
Minimal "software" training, just the basics (follow on classes cover this)

The goal of this theoretical class is to have each participant build their own printer under close supervision/advice/direction, and set them up for additional classes that cover the day to day usage, monthly maintenance, repair, etc.

Per person cost of the class in a typical market must cover the printer, payment processing (Event bright), venue rental, spare parts (in case kit parts suck).

It would be neat to establish a framework for experienced builders to use as a guideline to conducting these kind of classes in their local markets.

So what do you think?

Cheers,
Mark

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2015 03:21PM by thetazzbot.
Re: Build your own 3d printer class
July 20, 2015 03:27PM
Nice idea!

thetazzbot
Class would involve a beginner's level kit (a cartesian printer, aka mendel 90 or prusa i3 varation); or a corexy using Smartrap Core "box" printer.

What have you got against deltas? I think the Fisher delta could be a good basis for such a course, once RepRapPro have improved the assembly instructions. With a delta you are mostly building the same thing 3 times, so there is less of a learning curve and more chance of getting the build finished in a day..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2015 03:27PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
July 20, 2015 04:05PM
I think it would be difficult to have most people build a printer during a one day class, especially if they're building different kits. For most, just tuning and getting it printing reasonably well in one day would be a challenge, even with knowledgeable assistance.
I'd go for a much longer class to get machines built, or have people build at home as complete as possible then bring them in for a get-it-working session along with all the explanations about software, etc.
July 20, 2015 04:29PM
dc42
Nice idea!

thetazzbot

What have you got against deltas? I think the Fisher delta could be a good basis for such a course, once RepRapPro have improved the assembly instructions. With a delta you are mostly building the same thing 3 times, so there is less of a learning curve and more chance of getting the build finished in a day..

Nothing against Deltas, but they are not a beginner's level printer. That would be in the Advanced Class winking smiley
July 20, 2015 04:31PM
the_digital_dentist
I think it would be difficult to have most people build a printer during a one day class, especially if they're building different kits. For most, just tuning and getting it printing reasonably well in one day would be a challenge, even with knowledgeable assistance.
I'd go for a much longer class to get machines built, or have people build at home as complete as possible then bring them in for a get-it-working session along with all the explanations about software, etc.

The goal would be one class, one printer kit, e.g. everyone builds the same printer, to get people up to speed. Also should mention that the intended audience isn't the person who doesn't know a phillips from a straight edge. There is a prerequisite of basic knowledge..

Naturally the "class" instructor has a well defined model to work from, having all variables known up front. e.g. You know you're using GT2, 16 tooth pulleys, so parameters for Marlin are not "guess work" etc. But yes, just having to explain all the variables would take a long time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2015 04:32PM by thetazzbot.
July 20, 2015 04:47PM
I would think it might be better to start with an introduction to 3D printing rather than jumping right into the build. Day one starts with downloading a pre-determined model from thingiverse and loading it into some design software to customize it. Then move onto validating the model and covering slicing options before moving onto printer designs (cartisian, coreXY, delta, stl,etc...) as well as the calibration process, filaments, and maintenance. The class ends with participants purchasing kits and scheduling a follow-up course to build one of 2-3 different printer designs (each with its own build day).

Building a printer is not that hard, getting it to work well and then creating objects to actually print might be more important aspects to cover before getting your feet wet. Just my two cents.
July 20, 2015 04:58PM
thetazzbot
Nothing against Deltas, but they are not a beginner's level printer. That would be in the Advanced Class winking smiley

Why do you think a delta is not a beginners printer, but coreXY is?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

July 20, 2015 06:50PM
Just a note on the terminology: usually we call these workshops, in French "atelier", in Spanish, "taller".
July 21, 2015 12:50AM
Kurzaa
I would think it might be better to start with an introduction to 3D printing rather than jumping right into the build. Day one starts with downloading a pre-determined model from thingiverse and loading it into some design software to customize it. Then move onto validating the model and covering slicing options before moving onto printer designs (cartisian, coreXY, delta, stl,etc...) as well as the calibration process, filaments, and maintenance. The class ends with participants purchasing kits and scheduling a follow-up course to build one of 2-3 different printer designs (each with its own build day).

Building a printer is not that hard, getting it to work well and then creating objects to actually print might be more important aspects to cover before getting your feet wet. Just my two cents.

Usually a good idea to start with the basics, but the participants would sure like to print their model and take it home as a "trophy".
Also without knowing what 3D printing is all about, the config of a slicer would mean nothing to them.

IMHO, it would be a weekend workshop, where you build a basic printer kit, then learn how to deal with electronics and software and finally print the first test cubes as minimum goal.
-Olaf
July 21, 2015 01:18AM
I agree, a 2- or even 3-day workshop would make more sense, if it includes building a printer.

July 21, 2015 10:42AM
dc42
Nice idea!

thetazzbot

I don't specifically have anything against deltas. I have an "almost finished" mini kossel on my desk. It just seems harder to explain how a delta works than a cartesian smiling smiley And debugging them can drive a person crazy... or to drink...
July 21, 2015 10:42AM
o_lampe
Kurzaa

Usually a good idea to start with the basics, but the participants would sure like to print their model and take it home as a "trophy".
Also without knowing what 3D printing is all about, the config of a slicer would mean nothing to them.

IMHO, it would be a weekend workshop, where you build a basic printer kit, then learn how to deal with electronics and software and finally print the first test cubes as minimum goal.
-Olaf

That's good input smiling smiley
July 21, 2015 01:07PM
I agree with Olaf, the idea of a weekend workshop sounds a lot better.
July 21, 2015 01:30PM
Kurzaa
I agree with Olaf, the idea of a weekend workshop sounds a lot better.
A weekend!
Took me the equivilent of two weekends to assemble my i3!
Kurzaa

This makes sense but I agree, that a delta would be more of an advanced course and a prusa a beginners workshop.
July 21, 2015 03:04PM
thetazzbot
It just seems harder to explain how a delta works than a cartesian smiling smiley

That's true; but does it really matter? The important thing is that you have a print head that moves in X, Y and Z directions.

thetazzbot
And debugging them can drive a person crazy... or to drink...

With the right electronics and firmware, there is no more debugging than for a Cartesian printer; and with a Z probe, calibration is quick and easy.

I suggest you take a look at the Fisher, I think it will be a good (and economical) beginner's printer when it is out of beta, with a short build time.

July 24, 2015 12:27AM
I just finished my kossel and had to go through all these crazy config settings and trial and error to get it calibrated. I didnt install the probe yet. Sure wouldnt want to attempt that with ten newbs in a workshop.. So yeah auto calibration would be a must.

Ps im using ramps marlin and its working fine.
July 26, 2015 06:46AM
I think that a course is a really good idea. Spreading it over two days would be advantageous, judging by how much we covered in a long afternoon on an introduction to laser cutting course I recently went on.

Something on the basics of slicing up your own files to print would be good at the end of the course, which could then lead to other courses. I would include the cost of the printer in the course, as that way all participants will have the same printer, to the same spec, which will make teaching quicker. Nothing worse than having to spend 10 minutes explaining something to half the class, and then go back and explain a slightly different set of instructions to the other half of the class.

I bought the RepRap fisher as my first ever 3D printer, and I would highly recommend it as a beginners printer. Due to the clever design of the bed that sits on springs, it has auto bed levelling without any extra probes, the nozzle pushes the bed down, which breaks an electrical connection, There is no crazy calibration to go through as dc42's firmware auto calibrates the end stops and bed levelling with two button presses. The design is very sturdy, and easy to put together. Also the web interface for the duet electronics is very good.
July 26, 2015 06:55AM
Here's another idea for how to schedule the course:

Day 1. Intro to 3D printing, describing the basics and introducing the printer kit (which you will have purchased in quantity at a good price). Students take the kit home and proceed with assembly.

Day 2, 1 week later: workshop on resolving any problems students have with completing the kit, and commissioning it. Followed by introduction to slicing and online model repositories such as thingyverse

Day 3: Advanced topics, e.g. different filament types and designing 3D printed parts.

July 26, 2015 02:43PM
Just want to say that im in love with my mini kossel. I just finished it and got it running.. It so much better than my prusa i3. And yes not a difficult build at all.

I like the suggestions that been have given.
July 27, 2015 02:54AM
Leaving the students alone with the build would require a good build manual. Which isn´t always the case.
And if there is a good manual, what would they need the workshop for?
The reason to spend money for a workshop is to have an expert at hand, who can answer questions, and also to have access to the right tools for the job. ( solder-equipment, multimeter, caliper )

Without a good manual the 2nd. day will be full of agony, when you have to tell the students to disassemble half of the printer, because they forgot to mount part xyz, or they´ve burnt parts of the electronics...

-Olaf
How about offering a father/son 3D-printer camping week?
July 27, 2015 04:59AM
o_lampe
Leaving the students alone with the build would require a good build manual. Which isn´t always the case.

So pick a kit with a good manual.

o_lampe
And if there is a good manual, what would they need the workshop for?
The reason to spend money for a workshop is to have an expert at hand, who can answer questions, and also to have access to the right tools for the job. ( solder-equipment, multimeter, caliper )

Even with a good build manual, many novice kit builders have problems getting their printer working, or they get it working but the print quality is poor. That is where an expert can help. You could have a few spare parts on hand too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2015 04:59AM by dc42.

July 27, 2015 07:16AM
The goal would be one class, one printer kit, e.g. everyone builds the same printer, to get people up to speed. Also should mention that the intended audience isn't the person who doesn't know a phillips from a straight edge. There is a prerequisite of basic knowledge..

If someone is knowledgeable enough to build an entire printer kit within a day then they certainly don't need your class. Sorry to rain on your crazy parade.

You're also going to have trouble getting to everyone who might need help if you're limiting it to a day (unless there's like 5 people in the class).

I would run a week long course of maybe half day sessions.
First day: Theory. How extruders work, how the steppers move to a certain location, etc.
Second day: Start assembling the motion platform
Third day: Assembly of the extrusion mechanism
Fourth day: Assembly of the frame
Fifth day: Putting it all together
Sixth and Seventh day: Practice printing, calibration and showing them how to use a simple 3d program like tinkercad or blender or whatever to create their own small objects like a small teddy bear or something and print it.

If anyone is advanced enough that they finish one of the objectives before hand, they can move on to the next and just end up with more practice time, or they can help the others.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2015 07:17AM by ntoff.
July 27, 2015 08:07AM
ntoff

If someone is knowledgeable enough to build an entire printer kit within a day then they certainly don't need your class. Sorry to rain on your crazy parade.

The point is, people would need much longer to build their first printer. But with a teacher and a ready made printer to spy on, it is doable in one day.
Second day would be for configuration/calibration.
-Olaf
July 27, 2015 11:48AM
Thinking of things out loud here...

Kit portability? Is the printer your building sturdy enough for transport to and from classes.
Soldering? Does your kit need soldering skills ~heatbed etc...
Do you need to provide soldering irons, holders, solder?
Tools? Are you going to provide tools for assembly, or include them as part of the class.
Power? Does your location provide enough Power outlets/circuits for how many printers you will have running at once.
Large enough build area? Does your location provide a large enough build surface per printer.
Safety? Your dealing with HOT objects (Soldering Iron, Hotend, Heatbed) Moving objects (X,Y,Z axis) Electrical (Power Supply)
Are you prepared for Fires/Burns/Injuries/Electrocution? In both handling the situation, and being insured financially for you and the location?

I'm sure there's more... but this is as far as I get on one cup of coffee...

If it were me, I would keep the class size small (~5), or get some friends to help.
I would probably pick something like the Folgertech i3 2020 (through them or source the parts myself). Aluminum extrusions are pretty easy to get right and are sturdy. Have extras for everything if using Folgertech, and at least electronics and screws if sourcing for yourself. Pre-build one your self a couple times so your very familiar with the kit. Go ahead and get the Firmware and slicer settings tuned in for the kits. For me, I'd solder anything that needs soldering before the class. just to prevent burns, accidents, and melted carpet. I just seen to many soldering irons dragged off on the floor by careless people, and everyone of them tried to catch it while it's falling. Preach Printer Safety like a Fire and Brimstone Preacher. You don't want to regret that later. Grab a friend who wants to get into printing, and have him with you in the prebuild. See what questions he has. You'll be sure to hear them again in the class, and also know what topics you need to hit more closely.

I would probably do 2 weekends. First day would be a quick 3D printing overview plus a demonstration of the prebuild printer. Then unboxing and verifying kit inventory, while explaining the parts. Familiarize them with the build manual too. Mechanical Assembly tips. Turn them loose to do Mechanical assembly. Some will be fast, but get ahead of themselves and need to go back to fix things. Some will be fast and good (See if they are willing to assist the slower ones.) Some will be slow, and some won't listen to a word you said the entire day and need your constant attention. Second Day Safety! (Beat it into them again!) and then Wiring/Firmware. Go SLOW. they need to do this right the first time. Explain every connection thoroughly. Firmware. Configuring and loading. Your pre-configured firmware should get them close. Next Weekend Calibration\Tuning\Printing.

I think I'd supply the tools for the class as part of their kit. This cheap Harbor Freight toolkit has done me well for a while now. Has every bit I use.

Harbor Freight screwdriver kit $6.99

OK... need more coffee... I will post up anything else I can think of later...

Mike
July 27, 2015 01:30PM
With an instructor led build, finishing almost any printer in a day or two should be more than reasonable. I would keep the course to less than a dozen people, assuming an assistant instructor, and would plan on really expanding on any documentation that came with the kit (i.e. labeled, full-scale diagrams that people can place finished parts on).

Basic toolkit with all of the necessities for building the printer should be included, though I would try to eliminate all soldering and other more "advanced" requirements of the class. Keep everything as plug and play as possible even if it means pre-soldering and terminating connections as well as using more advanced boards with software controlled driver voltages. Covering the use of a multimeter in the course is nice, but having half the class fry their stepper motor drivers will get old quick.

I think I would keep everything limited to one 2-3 day weekend where the kits could be kept out in a locked facility. Organize breaks after the more complicated sections of the build to help catch people up and be prepared to stay late every night as well.
February 29, 2016 03:17PM
Thetazzbot,

Did you ever end up organizing your 1 day 3D printer builds?

Open Source Ecology is doing this starting March 19, 2016.

For anyone interested in running 3D printer workshops - here is a data collection survey to learn from past builds - [opensourceecology.org]

or please share on FB - [on.fb.me].

Marcin
February 29, 2016 03:19PM
Thetazzbot,

Did you ever end up organizing your 1 day 3D printer build class? Open Source Ecology is doing this starting March 19, 2016.

For anyone interested in running 3D printer workshops - here is a data collection to learn from past builds - bit.ly/1TiiRUV. Please fill it out if you have ever run 3D printer workshops or participated in one.

Marcin
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login