Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Large format printer -- Bed (physical not heated portion)

Posted by L4nce0 
Large format printer -- Bed (physical not heated portion)
July 21, 2015 12:29PM
Hi guys, I have been trying to solve this one myself, but it's been 3 weeks without a solution.

I am building a 3d printer with a silicon pad 600mm^2. I was thinking I could get a machined metal plate but none of the local companies are even willing to give me a quote. The precision platestock has a reported tolerance of 1.5mm. I think I'd need less that .5mm, or less.. Anyone have experience with 2ft+ precision printing surfaces?
Re: Large format printer -- Bed (physical not heated portion)
July 21, 2015 12:39PM
I guess you mean (600mm)^2 smiling smiley

What about a big mirror? Too heavy?
July 21, 2015 02:52PM
"Cast aluminum tool & jig plate" (also called MIC 6) is very common at metal supply stores. My printer is a delta with 17 inch across max print length. I managed to find a remnant for half price.

Thinner Cast aluminum tool & jig plate (under 5/8" thick) typically has a guaranteed flatness of .015 inch (.381mm).

I'm not sure where you are, but here was the first link I found, with an average price, $82.65 for a 2" x 2" x 3/8 plate (+ shipping).

I found it difficult to print directly on the aluminum as nothing tends to stick to it, so I use a custom cut piece of mirror glass on top - because it's flatter than regular glass - and use Aqua Net Extra Super Hold hairspray, at 110C bed temp for ABS. This is a trouble free print surface - no messing about replacing tape. After about 10 prints just wash it with Windex, then alcohol, and respray a very light coat of Aquanet. But your first layer needs to be very even, and within .06mm or less of the desired height, so you'll need a good bed probe in order to print large items consistently.

I level the bed to within .02mm, and set the bed hight to .02mm of the desired height before printing each time.

My printer: Raptosaur - Large Format Delta - [www.paulwanamaker.wordpress.com]
Can you answer questions about Calibration, Printing issues, Mechanics? Write it up and improve the Wiki!
July 21, 2015 02:58PM
Get something nearly flat (e.g. 4mm aluminium sheet) and give it a 0.5mm thick coat of epoxy paint or automotive body filler. Put some kind of grinder head on your printer and send it to all points. Repeat if necessary.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login