Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Where do you buy filament?

Posted by MegaRocketPenguin 
Where do you buy filament?
July 21, 2015 10:32PM
Just purchased my aluminum Folger i3 printer, and they were all out of filament (Except for three lousy colors).

So, what is best source for quality filament? Want ABS and PLA to start with, and diameter is 1.75mm.

I couldn't find any threads regarding this, but I am sure there are, so go ahead and direct me there.

Thanks!
Re: Where do you buy filament?
July 21, 2015 11:13PM
I like the stuff I got at microcenter and it's cheap too.

[www.microcenter.com]

Newbie with Folgertech 2020 i3.
July 21, 2015 11:16PM
Anyone ever get the HatchBox stuff off of amazon? It has prime, and decent cost too...

Was looking at the stuff on makergeeks, really like the price + free shipping, but they don't accept paypal sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2015 11:17PM by MegaRocketPenguin.
July 22, 2015 12:52AM
I bought my first batch at Microcenter too. Prices seemed pretty reasonable compared to what I've been reading online. Still building my machine so can't comment on the quality though. Good luck!
July 22, 2015 12:58AM
Foxsmart filament is very good indeed, esp. given the low price ($18 for PLA).

They used to only sell PLA, now they've added ABS and TPU, which I've not tried.

Thee only real negative is the diameter of the center of the spool is too small, making it hard (high force) to feed the end of the reel. That causes me to waste a little, but given the price I can live with that.

http://www.foxsmart.club/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2015 01:16AM by JonS.
July 22, 2015 09:21AM
Well, I went ahead and purchased a role of place and a role of abs from foxsmart. Hope it works well.

If anyone has a supplier they think is worthy of purchasing from, go ahead and post here. I probably won't stick with the first supplier for the first months, as I want to get a feel of what is good/bad.
Thanks!
July 23, 2015 08:04AM
MegaRocketPenguin
Anyone ever get the HatchBox stuff off of amazon? It has prime, and decent cost too...

Was looking at the stuff on makergeeks, really like the price + free shipping, but they don't accept paypal sad smiley

The hatchbox stuff is the only filament I print with anymore. I haven't had a single jam and the colors look fantastic.
July 23, 2015 08:08AM
There is many option available near you but you can also try if possible MakerGeeks.com with FREE shipping. Thanks
July 23, 2015 08:09AM
Coex3d make excellent ABS. I have not tried their other materials yet.

I know they get a lot of boos from the community in general, but I have always had good results printing with Octave ABS filament. They make some great fluorescent colors.
July 23, 2015 12:35PM
I buy from Amazon and tried most brands. Hatchbox and Saint smart (white) , no problems with their ABS (I only print in ABS). Octave black didn't work out well for me. I had to put it in the oven for 1/2 hour at 120C to get rid of the humidity. That was my first roll with them and it put me off to get other colors, besides Saint smart is cheap smiling smiley
July 23, 2015 01:20PM
I am currently trying out eSUN PLA through Amazon and HobbyKing.
July 23, 2015 02:51PM
I've had good luck with Esun through Hobbykings USA warehouse.
July 24, 2015 08:23AM
I get all my filament from [3dfilaprint.com]
July 24, 2015 09:36PM
I am new to 3d printing and haven't experienced any jams with Hatchbox PLA.
July 25, 2015 01:05PM
www.3dfilaprint.com rocks!
July 25, 2015 11:13PM
[www.microcenter.com]

Like others have said, I would not consider anywhere other than Microcenter for filament other than an exotic brew that that they may not carry.

I spent most of my first year printing with problem filament that I did not know was junk until I spooled up some inland from Microcenter.

It flowed like cheesewiz, I lowered temps and got the sweetest prints I have ever seen. It was cheap at about $15.00 per key. I could have printed junk, but it helped make my prints into jewelry.

It was vacuum packed and printed stunningly out of the pack. I was able to drive to the store, see it, buy it and make good stuff.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login