Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Diff extrusion widths for multi-extruders in Slic3r?

Posted by jessicabrenner 
Diff extrusion widths for multi-extruders in Slic3r?
July 23, 2015 04:37PM
I want constant extrusion widths for each extruder I have - 0.4 nozzle (for PLA), 0.4 nozzle (for PLA), and 1.0 needle tip for a paste extruder. I can let the PLA nozzle widths go to default, but how do I set a constant width for the paste extruder that is a different width than the 0.4 mm nozzles?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2015 04:38PM by jessicabrenner.
Re: Diff extrusion widths for multi-extruders in Slic3r?
July 30, 2015 05:56PM
Are you looking for something beside the nozzle diameter setting under the printer settings tab? I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. You can create multiple printer profiles, each with a different nozzle width, if you're physically changing extruders. If you have a multiple concurrent extruder setup, you set the number of extruders in Slic3r accordingly and you can set the nozzle diameter individually for each.

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
July 30, 2015 06:05PM
Thanks for the reply. Yes, its a multiple concurrent extruder setup, but the 3rd extruder is a luer tip needle with a 1mm diameter. To do paste dispensing at a constant PSI, I force the printer to stay at a near constant speed. When I put 1mm nozzle diameter in slic3r, I think it automatically chooses different extrusion widths for the infill, the perimeters, the external perimeter, top solid infill, etc... which I assume results in lines that are thinner/thicker resulting in lines whose center distances are closer or further apart than if the width was constant. Please correct me if I'm wrong or verify my suspicion. For paste dispensing, I don't want the spacing between the lines to be different since I'm using a near constant PSI and speed and therefore want the line widths and distances to be the exact same for the whole print (for the paste extruder only).

Know what I mean?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2015 06:09PM by jessicabrenner.
July 30, 2015 07:30PM
That makes more sense.

The best results, according to Triffid Hunter's calibration guide, are when layer height < 80% of nozzle diameter and extrusion width >= nozzle diamter. That means that your print settings for extrusion width are going to be dictated by the largest nozzle diameter. If your extrusion width is good for the 0.4mm nozzles but less than 1mm, the chances are you will get inconsistent extrusion width when you switch to the paste nozzle. Your extrusion width needs to be 1mm or greater; even then, I'm not sure how well the 0.4mm nozzles will cope.

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
July 31, 2015 12:57AM
There are a lot of settings like this. I would really say Speed settings, Ooze Prevention Temperature Delta, Advanced (which includes Extrusion widths), and Tool Change G-code should be Filament settings (so they're associated with nozzles) and Bed Temperature should be a Print setting (so it's not).

You can work around it, but it's a bit of a pain. Set the extrusion widths you're going to use most as the defaults and then manually set all the extrusion widths along with the nozzle used for your modifier/extra-part STLs in the right-click --> Settings menu.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login