Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Changing Filament

Posted by scubi 
Changing Filament
July 24, 2015 06:01AM
Hi
I was wondering if anyone changes filament by cutting the first filament off close to the hobbed bolt and then adding the new filament. Manually pushing the old filament down and then the new filament.
The reason I ask is I am afraid everytime that when I pull out the old filament , some of the heated filament will come off in the heat break and go solid. ( E3D v6 ).
I know this is major mission to try and push the old cut off filament down and then adding the new filament.
Thanks
Re: Changing Filament
July 24, 2015 03:00PM
Not sure about ABS, but PLA has a pretty low glass point. So I just heat up the PLA to 120-150ish and pull it out. Also helps to clean out any gunk that might be in the hotend.
July 24, 2015 11:31PM
I have been cutting it off close to the top of the extruder, then heating up the nozzle and running the extruder motor. Then when the old filament is down far enough I feed the new stuff in. I too am worried about damage from pulling it out the top and this way has been working.

Newbie with Folgertech 2020 i3.
July 26, 2015 05:17PM
I haven't had much trouble with pulling it out of E3D-v6 without clogging, but my extruder is fixed and the oversized meltzone from E3D causes a 'bulb' at the end and I cant' get it out the top anyway. There does seem to be a trick for loading/unloading filament more reliably & without the bulb than the E-500 F5000 method (aka, ripping it out) but I haven't put the time in to figure it out.
July 28, 2015 03:20AM
Thanks guys for the help appreciate it.
July 28, 2015 11:57PM
This method?

[forums.reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login