Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I need large OD empty spools

Posted by shadowphile 
I need large OD empty spools
July 24, 2015 08:43PM
I want to standardize my in-house filament management needs by respooling all my filaments onto one size. Preferably that size would be large OD with large hub OD and narrow width, perhaps something like 8x4x2".
This would also remove the excessive curl caused by small hubs, especially since I use 3mm.
I have looked all morning for spool stock but is surprisingly sparse options. Plus new spools can be $5 or more; ridiculous considering how many users must have empty spools laying around.
I would like about a dozen and I am in the US, if you have some or know where I can look. Chinese distributors usually require large minimum orders and for other reasons is my last resort.
thanks for your help.
Re: I need large OD empty spools
July 25, 2015 02:55AM
Sounds like a perfect job for a 3d printer smiling smiley
July 25, 2015 03:45AM

Here is what I'm adopting for filament storage and feed supply for the printer I'm building.
July 25, 2015 07:23PM
I thought about printing but that is overkill considering the should-be-dirt-cheap injection-molded parts that must be flooding the world (I also don't have a big enough printer right now).
July 25, 2015 07:37PM
You can make a spool out of any two discs and a smaller cylinder. Maybe you print the cylinder and screw on the discs.

Better yet, copy what Reelex does and keep the filament without spools.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login