Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What do you do when changing filament colors?

Posted by gmckee 
What do you do when changing filament colors?
July 28, 2015 11:21PM
For the time I have been using my printer I have been exclusively using red hatchbox pla. I ordered some blue pla and was wanting to know if there is any more to changing filament than pulling the old out of the extruder and putting the new in.
Re: What do you do when changing filament colors?
July 28, 2015 11:30PM
Generally, you get a little cleaner change if you take the hot end up to maybe 20C below your normal extrusion temperature (say, 180 for PLA) and gently hand-extrude a little filament, then lower the temperature another 20C before you retract it. You'll still have to extrude some after the change before you stop getting old filament with the new.
July 28, 2015 11:43PM
Would it be worth putting a bit of 'natural' filament through between the two colours?
July 28, 2015 11:55PM
I don't really see any value-added. The filaments are compatible. They can even be mixed at nearly-infinitely-variable ratios in something like a Cyclops.
July 28, 2015 11:56PM
I run an E3DV6-lite, and going from bright red to white, I am clear after 70mm or extrusion or so, although I'll usually squirt more like 100 to be safe.

I have two macros in Pronterface - unload, which sets 180 degrees and waits formit (M109), and the reverses 450mm or so (enough to clear the extruder) and then wets 100 degrees awaiting the load. Load fires in an M302 (extrude cold), and runs in 430mm (enough to stop just short of the hot end) and then I manually set temp for what I am running, and bump 10mm extrusions manually until the color is clean.

- Tim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2015 12:35AM by tadawson.
July 29, 2015 12:48AM
450 and 430mm seem an awfully long distance... presumably you're running a Bowden setup?
July 29, 2015 12:51AM
Yup - bowden on a kossel. The point was the use of macros to simplify the process, not the specific lengths . . . they might even be higher, I'm not at that system to verify at the moment . . .

- Tim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2015 12:52AM by tadawson.
July 29, 2015 06:58AM
To change my filament, I heat the hotend at 80°C and then remove the PLA. Doing so, almost all the filament is removed from the hotend in one block. When I print a new piece, the printer make just one skirt around the piece, it is sufficient to purge the rest of old filament.
For ABS, I do the same at 120°, but it will stay more residues than with PLA.

Prusa i3 - e3d v5 - Gnu/Linux - Pronterface - Slic3r - Octoprint - Rpi - French
RFZ
July 30, 2015 02:35PM
I just cut the old filament and push the new one in right after it, while extruding slowly. Works perfect for 2 years now...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login