Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Machines.xml changes not taking affect

Posted by dremd 
Machines.xml changes not taking affect
August 05, 2010 09:25AM
Hey guys, I am attempting to make changes to replicatorg's machines.xml as per [replicat.org] however the changes are not taking effect.

So far I have tried the following steps.
1) edit the scale. (nothing happened)
2) edit the name which replicatorg support page claims "This is the name of the machine that will be used in the Machine -> Drivers dropdown menu." No change in dropdown menu.
3) copied someone else's machines.xml to mine. N change
4) re download / install replicatorg. no change And extra strange, because the file I had open before automatically opened whith new install.
5) edited machines.xml, reinstalled replicatorg then replaced new machines.xml with edited old file. Again absolutley no changes.
6) deleted machines.xml. again absolutely no changes.
7) installed replicatorg on my windows machine and tried 1), 2), 6) again absolutley no changes.

All I can figure is that replicatorg is either a) using internal defaults or b) looking at adifferant configuration file.

Any and all ideas/ comments are highly welcome and do not rule out the idiot operator either.
Re: Machines.xml changes not taking affect
August 05, 2010 12:51PM
What specific path are you editing? What operating system are you using.

I believe there are two Machine.xml files. The first one comes with the install and isn't modified. The first time you run ReplicatorG, it copies this file to ~/.ReplicatorG. After that it uses whatever is in ~/.ReplicatorG so you need to make changes to that.

Darwin clone, Gen 2 electronics, Arduino Duemilanove w/ AtMega328, 5D Firmware, Pinchwheel extruder
[www.codeerrors.com]
August 05, 2010 01:46PM
Issue solved.
As best as I can tell replicator G version .18 ignores the machines. xml where as version .17 works as advertised.
August 05, 2010 01:47PM
OSX 10.6.4 is my main operating system, but I also tried Windows XP.
RepG 0018 hides machines.xml in your Docs and Settings subdirectory, at least in WinXP. My path is: C:\Documents and Settings\(insert name here)\.replicatorg\machines.xml

You can test this easily even while RepG is open by adding a suffix to an existing machine driver profile name. I changed mine to "Cupcake CNC potatoes", checked under the DRIVER setting in RepG0018, and it took effect immediately. That's the secret. Good luck!
I have the same problem with OSX. I tried different ways using different software to edit the xml-code also using different OSes. Only one way works fine: Using Adobe CS3 Dreamwaver to edit and save it as described above. When i took the dreamwaver file and copied it to my Mac there wasn´t any change. So where ReplicatorG hides the machines.xml on OSx?? I hope someone can help me thx!
September 19, 2010 10:34AM
On OSX it's in ~/.skeinforge
September 19, 2010 10:43AM
I haven't tried in a while, but at the time I was modifying machines.xml located at ~/.skeinforge.
The machines.xml is in ~/.replicatorG. Thats ok so far. But editing the file has no change on the RepG but the file can be edited without any problems. So i guess there has to be a other (mayber hidden) machines.xml somewhere which give RepG the old settings? In ~/.skeinforge i haven´t found a machines.xml :-/
The editing of the machines.xml only leads only in RepG Ver 0017 to changes. So thats my solution for now, using a older version. BUT: When i opened the edited Ver0017 and switched to Ver0019 IT SHOWS the changes too! >grinning smiley< But only one time after rebooting Ver 0019 the effect was gone... eye popping smiley
Re: Machines.xml changes not taking affect angry smiley
September 20, 2010 02:29PM
I edit /Applications/replicatorg-0018-mac/machines.xml in TextEdit and rename ~/.replocatorg/machines.xml with either Finder or terminal (mv machines.xml machines.xml.bak). ReplicatorG automatically places a copy of the new machines.xml into ~/.replicatorg directory. I use Spotlight to hunt down duplicates.
On windows 7 and ReplicatorG 19 the machines.xml that is used can be found in:

C:\Users\Lieven\.replicatorg

*** where 'Lieven' is 'Username' **

The one in the install directory is not used, had the same problem

regarding, Lieven
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login