Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Open design project - hints needed

Posted by macsnail 
Open design project - hints needed
August 03, 2015 01:34AM
Hello RepRap Community,
I would like to start an open design project similar to RepRap but in a different domain (boat design).
Could You help me whom to contact on the Rep Rap side to get some good hints vs the organisatorial part at the beggining:
- some legal hints
- hints vs the organisation of the collaboration on internet
- what to be careful about, any good hints
The idea of my project is quite well defined, but i would like to use Your experience to have a correct start...

Thanks a lot in advance for Your help.
Re: Open design project - hints needed
August 18, 2015 03:37PM
your designing a boat... we design 3d printers. Probably should contact another forum... just keep looking till you find boats.
August 19, 2015 09:58AM
Hey that's a cool idea! I think the RepRap community came together so well because it's like the only cheap option for owning a printer
Boats are not that way so your biggest hurdle will be attracting the niche crowd needed for a really involved community.

As far as legal, just make each new member agree to a disclaimer that you are totally not responsible for any damage (personal, monetary, etc.) that could happen. Put this disclaimer in amy boat plans that may be downloadable as well amd you'll be good.

Good luck! PM me if you want to discuss more.
August 23, 2015 12:00PM
Hi SamS,
Thanks a lot for good hints.
I hope to get involved people because the design shall be innovative. Hopefully I'll get some that are interested.

Some more practical info I wanted to ask were:
- Did you start a foundation or similar to have a legal entity or all was done directly by private persons?
- To publish and exchange data - did you use one common furum or similar or this exchage was more direct between the working groups?
- Did you protect the RepRap name to avoid that some people try to work under your logo or this was not a big issue?
And the last for the moment
- Was it necessary to have a very demanding project management and coordination or wad the work in the groups rather smooth?

I hope i am not too annoying with my questions but your experience is fot me very very useful

By the way I started a site about the project - still needs to be perfectioned- but if you are interested it is under kitecruiser dot org.

Sunny greetings
MacSnail
August 24, 2015 10:34AM
still not boats.
August 24, 2015 04:59PM
Just a note, Rhino3D is famous for it's boat design abilities and is used in conjunction with giant X Y Z mills to carve the designs out of foam. Check Youtube.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login