Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Y-axis not working, Lcd screen only works with USB

Posted by ensor89 
Y-axis not working, Lcd screen only works with USB
August 09, 2015 10:45PM
I moved and was setting up my printer one night and selected the home function. The x-axis went to its homing position and when it hit the end stop switch, the printer just froze and the lcd screen went blank. I plugged in my USB and the LCD screen came back to life. My Y-axis is no longer functioning. I can control my X & Z axis but only when the USB is connected. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
Re: Y-axis not working, Lcd screen only works with USB
August 09, 2015 10:49PM
I accidentally had my end stop switches plugged in backwards when I started it up. After the problem, I plugged them back the way they were supposed to go to see if that fixed anything but it didn't. I am not sure if this detail helps in figuring out where the problem is.
August 09, 2015 11:27PM
Did you check for power and the connections of it?
August 09, 2015 11:54PM
Reversing an endstop, at least on a RAMPS card will short out the 5v regulator on the Arduino, which can fail, resulting in no 5v unless coming from USB . . . . and this appears to match your situation, unfortunately . . .

- Tim
August 10, 2015 12:14AM
Tim,

Where on the arduino board is this regulator? Can it be replaced? I will attach a photo of what I think we are talking about.

Thanks for the diagnoses!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2015 12:16AM by ensor89.
Attachments:
open | download - arduino_5vregulator.png (377.4 KB)
August 10, 2015 01:14PM
bump
August 11, 2015 12:47PM
I recently had a Y axis movement issue also after many many months of it working! I replaced a cheap stepper driver for the y and fixed everything , u might have a blown one yourself?
August 15, 2015 10:33AM
Thanks Tibuck! I will test that hypothesis once I solder a new voltage regulator into my Arduino. If the voltage regulator does not fix my problems, my next plan is to replace the Pololu stepper driver for the y axis. They are only $3 on ebay. Thank goodness these problems are not that expensive to fix!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login