Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ReplicatorG 0018 Compatible with Mendle 5D?

Posted by Azdle 
ReplicatorG 0018 Compatible with Mendle 5D?
August 07, 2010 02:53PM
In my searching for how to make this work i keep seeing people saying they have it working with their Mendel, but I can't find anything that tells me how to make it work. I can't figure out why it won't connect to the printer. Also, I can't get the version of skeinforge that it comes with to use E codes. Is there a way to make it use them, or is there a way to upgrade the version of skeinforge it uses?

My machines.xml entry:
	[!-- RepRap Mendel --]
	[machine]
		[name]Mendel[/name]
		[geometry type="cartesian"]
			[!-- different pulleys on X and Y axii --]
			[axis id="x" length="200" maxfeedrate="3000"/] 
			[axis id="y" length="200" maxfeedrate="3000"/]
			[axis id="z" length="140" maxfeedrate="90"/]
		[/geometry]
		[tools]
			[tool name="Wade's Geared Extruder" type="extruder" material="PLA" motor="true" motor_steps="200" floodcoolant="false" mistcoolant="false" fan="false" valve="false" collet="false" heater="true"/]
		[/tools]
		[clamps][/clamps]
		[driver name="sanguino3g"]
			[portname]/dev/ttyUSB0[/portname]
			[rate]19200[/rate]
			[parity]N[/parity]
			[databits]8[/databits]
			[stopbits]1[/stopbits]
			[debuglevel]0[/debuglevel]
		[/driver]
		[warmup]
		[/warmup]
		[cooldown]
		[/cooldown]
	[/machine]
(Forum software doesn't seem to like "<" and ">". Changed to "[" and "]".)

The output when I try to connect:
[13:47:40] Loading driver: replicatorg.drivers.NullDriver
[13:48:36] Loading machine: Mendel
[13:48:36] Loading simulator.
[13:48:36] Loading driver: replicatorg.drivers.gen3.Sanguino3GDriver
[13:48:40] Read timed out.
[13:48:40] Read timed out; giving up on query.
[13:48:47] Read timed out.
[13:48:47] Read timed out; giving up on query.
[13:48:47] No connection; trying to pulse RTS to reset device.
[13:48:54] Read timed out.
[13:48:54] Read timed out; giving up on query.
[13:48:54] Unable to connect to firmware.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2010 03:01PM by Azdle.

----------------------------------------------------
Build Progress Blog
Re: ReplicatorG 0018 Compatible with Mendle 5D?
August 07, 2010 03:50PM

I can't get the version of skeinforge that it comes with to use E codes.

You have to enable the Dimension module to get E codes.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
August 07, 2010 04:08PM
nophead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You have to enable the Dimension module to get E
> codes.

I understand that, but the version of SF that comes with RepG doesn't seem to have that module.

Build Progress Blog
emt
August 08, 2010 08:23AM
Hi

Later skeinforge versions here:-

[fabmetheus.crsndoo.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2010 08:24AM by emt.

Regards

Ian
August 09, 2010 02:17PM
emt Wrote:
> Hi
>
> Later skeinforge versions here:-
>
> [fabmetheus.crsndoo.com]

Again, I do realize that. What I'm wondering about is if there is a way to use the latest version on SF with RepG18 so that I can use the layout tool and still get GCode with E-Codes.

Build Progress Blog
emt
August 10, 2010 04:59AM
Hi

Sorry can't help as I don't keep up with ReplicatorG. Looking at the download at the very least you would have to substitute the latest Skeinforge for the version included with Replicator. This may not be easy as at some time the skeinforge directory structure was changed. It might be better to enquire on the MakerBot forum or contact MakerBot direct.

Regards

Ian
August 18, 2010 06:04AM
So after a bit of debugging I have my Electronics and motors all working well with Reprap host software and 5D firmwares.

But I can't get ReplicatorG Version 0018 to work with the same 5D firmware as Reprap Host? Is this just not possible?, I don't need to run it but I would like know before I start attaching everything to my Repstrap, can anyone point me in the right direction.

Also does anyone know why in the default machines.xml the cupcake serial port settings look Bonkers? Are they? my comments in Red -

{driver name="sanguino3g"> Is this just for the SNAP FW or Makerbot FW?
{portname>COM1 portname> -- OK
{rate>38400 /rate> Faster, that's ok
{parity>8 /parity> How can Parity be 8?, I would expect None, Odd, Even
{databits>1 /databits> --> This should be the Databits?
{stopbits>N /stopbits> --> This should be Stopbits?
{debuglevel>0 /debuglevel> What's that then?

Do these settings even matter in the software?

They say the same thing about serial port settings on ReplicatorG website - [replicat.org]

So for My repstrap to run 5D firmware should it be something like -

{driver name="sanguino3g"> So what one do I use for 5D?
{portname>COM11 portname> -- My Com port 11
{rate>19200 /rate> Same as 5D firmware
{parity>N /parity> Parity None
{databits>8 /databits> --> 8 Databits
{stopbits>1 /stopbits> --> 1 stopbit
{debuglevel>0 /debuglevel> Keep this the same?

Any help appreciated, even if it's "No it only runs with Makerbot firmware" eye rolling smiley
August 18, 2010 06:15AM
OK, Just found a mention about "serialpassthrough" driver for 'GCode Interpreter' but the link takes me to the Generation 2 hardware? Will this work with Gen3 and 5D FW?

Am I getting closer... or barking up the wrong tree?

I won't be able to test it again until later.
emt
August 18, 2010 07:12AM
Hi

Looking at ReplicatorG it looks as if it does not accept E codes for stepper drive extruders.

As far as I am aware the ReplicatorG firmware is different from the Mendel firmware and uses a different protocol over the serial connection.

The firmware instructions for Replicator are here:-

[wiki.makerbot.com]

Regards

Ian
August 18, 2010 11:09AM
richrap Wrote:

> Any help appreciated, even if it's "No it only
> runs with Makerbot firmware" eye rolling smiley

That's my understanding of it.
August 20, 2010 03:21AM
I saw lots of people trying to use ReplicatorG with E codes and steppers. But there is no solution from the ReplicatorG side nor Makerbot side.
I have a feeling that these solutions going to a more commercial side. I request from the programmers of the ReplicatorG to add this functionality as soon as possible so that this software can be used with more machines.

regards,

Nuri Erginer
August 26, 2010 02:03PM
Ha! Indeed, it seems to be much nicer and more robust than RepRap host software, so I fully agree - ReplicatorG should be made compatible with Mendel firmware!
(I am just finalizing my RepStrap Mendel with Wade's geared extruder, currently fighting configuration problems.. but getting closer every day)

Przemek Jaworski
August 26, 2010 04:49PM
jawor Wrote:
> Ha! Indeed, it seems to be much nicer and more
> robust than RepRap host software, so I fully agree
> - ReplicatorG should be made compatible with
> Mendel firmware!

It's heresy around here, but you can just run MB firmware and then ReplicatorG works just fine. That's how I'm running my Mendel. Printed great, first try.
August 26, 2010 05:11PM
Thanks John, but you're running your Mendel using DC motor driven extruder, right? For me it doesn't work, coz I have Wade's one, driven with steppers..

Unfortunately it seems that I will have to stick to RepRap host software, which is not so bad after all, but it takes longer to generate gcodes and is less intuitive (interface).
August 26, 2010 09:01PM
jawor Wrote:
> Thanks John, but you're running your Mendel using
> DC motor driven extruder, right? For me it doesn't
> work, coz I have Wade's one, driven with
> steppers..
>

well, i'm using the dc motor, but the new firmware has support for steppers, and allows you to use regular gcode without any modification (the firmware maps PWM speeds to stepper speeds). I'll probably switch to a stepper extruder and that firmware in October, after Maker Faire.
January 03, 2011 02:56PM
I downloaded ReplicatorG version 023 and I found that it also doesn't communicate with my Mendel the Techzone remix Gen 3 motherboard. I loaded the Reprap firmware and it seems to be incompatible with it. It comes with a machine definitions for Mendel with Gen 3 board but it's not clear to me if I have to load the firmware from ReplicatorG. I tried doing this but the printer still didn't respond. I'm able to establish a connection with either firmware.

The Skeinforge that came with it (35) does support E codes. smiling smiley

I found some initial settings for Skeinforge from a blog by James (http://adventuresin3-dprinting.blogspot.com/2010/11/tuning-skeinforge.html) and used it. I tried sending the g-code from Replicator 023/Skeinforge 35 to my Mendel using RepSnapper and I found that the z-stepper was not moving because Skeinforge generates g-codes with X, Y and Z moves in one G1 command. The speed (F) is too fast for the Z motor which has a limit of around 1 mm/s. I editted the g-code file and replace one of the commented lines just before the first command in each layer with G1 F60.0 and managed to print a Hexagon. It was slow but it came out as good as any I've seen on the web from a Mendel.

I hope that the developer(s) of Skeinforge would support controlling the z motor separately since it really can't move as fast as the other two motors. I've been testing the Reprap host and Repsnapper and it seems that Skeinforge generates the best g-code. I often encounter errors in the g-codes from the reprap host where it would draw erroneous paths and skip layers. I thought that RepSnapper was better but I discovered that it too missed some layers. The ooze prevention in Repsnapper also doesn't work well.

Hope this helps somewhat.
January 03, 2011 03:13PM
Activate Dimension (absolute) and Limit (1 mm/sec).

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
January 04, 2011 01:38AM
I got the latest version of ReplicatorG communicating with the Gen3 Techzone board (not the new board that they have but the one where the stepper drivers are separate. You need to select the experiemental boards and have it preloaded with the RepRap firmware. Seem to work find. Have not printed with it as I am still working on the extruder.

David
January 08, 2011 01:40AM
@davmj
you have the techzone electronics talking with replicatorG firmware reliably?
what firmware did you use for the boards? what settings did you use for your connection?
are you using the extruder board to drive your extruder or are you using an external driver?
sorry if i sound quizzical, ive been trying to get the machine to talk to replicatorg with an external stepper controller forever now and its starting to drive me nuts, thanks for any help you can provide.
January 08, 2011 01:54AM
I got the g-codes from Skeinforge to work with the Mendel with Gen 3 Techzone remix by turning on the option "Break Z motion into separate moves..." option on in replicatorG and also turning acceleration off in the reprap firmware using the Arduino software. But I still can't get ReplicatorG to talk to it. I use either the Reprap host or RepSnapper to send codes.
January 08, 2011 05:26PM
Okay, I thought I had it working, but with a quick test it seems to have failed on me. I suspect this is because I have focused on ensuring that the whole environment works with reprap host (which is does do), and until I actually have it printing well (currently not printing as waiting for bits for the extruder), then I have decided to stick with the reprap host at the moment.

Replicator currently connects to the techzone board (19600 baud) and gets a temp back from it, but after that it crashed when I use the control panel.
May 18, 2011 12:50AM
So has anybody tried using the Makerbot electronics kit with the Mendel (the new Generation 4 electronics meant for the MK6 stepper extruder)? My Mendel has the Wades extruder and if I can just use the Makerbot Gen4 electronics with the latest ReplicatorG plug-and-play, that would be great.

I'm starting to give up on my Techzone remix, I've had zero luck with it, even getting it connected.
May 18, 2011 09:44PM
sxt173 Wrote:
> So has anybody tried using the Makerbot
> electronics kit with the Mendel (the new
> Generation 4 electronics meant for the MK6 stepper
> extruder)? My Mendel has the Wades extruder and
> if I can just use the Makerbot Gen4 electronics
> with the latest ReplicatorG plug-and-play, that
> would be great.
>
> I'm starting to give up on my Techzone remix, I've
> had zero luck with it, even getting it connected.

have you tried connecting it with repsnapper.?

i am using repsnapper for my prints, but i am still having issues getting skeinforge or repG to work for me, my stepper never seems to move fast enough on skeinforge, and repG i cant get to connnect at all, i can find the settings to change the serial properties.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
May 19, 2011 12:07PM
Ok, I just reinstalled the latest techzone firmware from their site; look for a link to the extruder head assembly under the thermocouple one A-D section and I can now connect to both the RepRap software and repsnapper beta.

Now my problem is that when I try to move any of the axis' in either softwares control panel, I can only get them to move in 1 direction. So z axis only moves up, etc. Has anyone experienced this?
May 19, 2011 12:25PM
Sounds like they have inverted the endstops. There is a #define in the configuration.h file.

JB

--
Check out my blog: AdventuresIn3-DPrinting
May 20, 2011 06:18AM
It's more likely that he either forgot to connect the opto endstops or he didn't make the correct connections. The steppers will only move in one direction in this case. The opto endstops are easily damaged if the connector is backwards since it switches ground and power around. Review the instructions in the wiki carefully before making the connection and do only one at a time. They provide a spare opto flag for this reason.
August 01, 2011 12:27PM
@sxt173

I don't know if you're still having the opto end stop problem, but I found an option in ReplicatorG that allowed me to change the end stop behaviors on the motherboard. One of these caused my motors to only work in one direction, which is exactly your issue. I'm sure a #define is what the software must be changing.

To all:
Has anyone gotten ReplicatorG to work with a stepped extruder rather than a DC motor? I'm having a heck of a time getting this to turn my motor. I can turn the heater on and read the temps fine, but can't seem to budge the stepper motor.
August 01, 2011 02:33PM
@kdrummer

My problem turned out to be wiring of the opto-endstops and one opto-endstop not being plugged in. This caused the firmware to allow + movements, but because there was no endstop, it would not let me do any movements towards home (-). I solved the issue by simply flipping my endstop plugs until it worked.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login