Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What do you use the software for modeling (Not Freeware)?

Posted by baekjn 
What do you use the software for modeling (Not Freeware)?
August 11, 2015 01:12AM
Hello, guys.

I'm gonna buy a new software for 3D modeling, but I don't have any ideas what is the best software.
Catia is so expinsve to me, I got quotations about Creo(Pro-engineering) and Solidworks.
Both of them are quite expensive, but I heard that those are good for 3D modeling.

I don't know what to do.
So could you give me some advices about what is better or the best?

Or you can recommend to me another software!

Thanks
Re: What do you use the software for modeling (Not Freeware)?
August 11, 2015 02:10AM
My preferred modelling softwares are autodesk products, 3ds max 2016 not cheap though unless you download torrent.
There are freeware which out perform some of the paid applications.
VDX
August 11, 2015 04:18AM
... in the past I've used Lightwave 7 or Truespace 7.6 (free), sometimes an older 3DSMax 4 -- now mostly Pictures by PC ... depends on the type of object ('organic' or mechanical precise) to create ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
August 11, 2015 04:46AM
whats wrong with the large number of opensource/freeware packages out therE?

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

VDX
August 11, 2015 06:27AM
thejollygrimreaper
whats wrong with the large number of opensource/freeware packages out therE?

... the 'usability' depends on the learning curve and/or previous experience and the capabilities of the software - could be the actual Blender with tutorials is easier to get into, but some years ago none of the free softwares was comparable to the cheaper (below USD500) comercial packages confused smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
August 11, 2015 07:38AM
I like DesignSpark Mechanical for CAD drawing/modeling. It's free, easy to learn, and very powerful, but requires Windows (ugh!). It supports 3D mice. I have been able to do 99% of what I want for 3D printing with DSM. If you must spend money they have a more fully featured professional version called SpaceClaim.

Here is my printer's X axis modeled in DSM:

And the extruder carriage:

I'm starting to play with OnShape, a cloud based CAD by the people who developed Solidworks (so naturally, it works a lot like solidworks). The huge advantage is that you can do CAD using any web browser, anywhere you have internet access (assuming the OnShape servers are working). I'm not a fan of cloud-based anything, and it doesn't support 3D mice yet, but the opportunity to ditch Windows forever is just too compelling to ignore. With OnShape you can even do 3D CAD work on your phone and tablet regardless of OS. I don't think it's for sale yet- they are in beta testing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2015 07:41AM by the_digital_dentist.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
August 11, 2015 08:29AM
I'm using Autodesk Inventor, learned it at school and it's easy to work with!
August 11, 2015 04:22PM
I would check out options from Autodesk. I thought they recently expanded their free education licenses to hobbyists for non-commercial work.
August 11, 2015 04:42PM
As a Solidworks designer im going to say Solidworks of course!
Easy to use and very powerful designing software.
August 11, 2015 05:01PM
I started with Alibre Design, and upgraded to their pro product later called Geomagic Design with a promotion. I've been using this for several years and like it.

Some time back Alibre was all purchased by 3DSystems and they now have a few entry-level 3D design products that are still very powerful, and output STL's too. The basic drawing interface / dimensioning / constraining system is the same.

These are called Cubify Design

Their "Invent" product is about $49 and would be used for more basic objects, since you cannot make assemblies of objects.

Their "Design" product is about what I started with when it was called Alibre Design - I only paid $100 for it back then. They had a lot of videos that got me started.

Their pro CAD software is called Geomagic Design, and can only be purchased through dealers (not a great way to market software...). The main advantage of that is support for other CAD formats.

Being able to create assemblies is powerful. Here I created an assembly of components for a ULPA filter for 3D printers, and then an exploded view:

August 11, 2015 05:02PM
ViaCad works well. You can pick up the previous version for about $35.

I've switched to Fusion 360. Price is $0 unless you're a business making more than $100000. It has some support for 3d printing and will probably gain more soon. The main attraction for me is the integrated CAM.

Example:

August 11, 2015 05:36PM
Rhino3D
August 11, 2015 06:21PM
the_digital_dentist
I'm starting to play with OnShape, a cloud based CAD by the people who developed Solidworks (so naturally, it works a lot like solidworks). The huge advantage is that you can do CAD using any web browser, anywhere you have internet access (assuming the OnShape servers are working).

+1 for Onshape. I used it for a couple of designs and works great so far. It is free and works in your browser.
August 13, 2015 08:22AM
I recently started with Design Spark Mechanical and was able to do all the necessary drawings to design a scara attempt (see my sig). It is surprisingly easy and you will get productive after the first day or two. It lacks though some features like 3D text, scaling assemblies, mirroring assemblies and a few more. All these can be overcome using other software packages to complement and mirroring of all kinds can be done in the slicer. Oh, it also lacks a History like Solid Works for example.

OpenScad has a certain appeal from the opensource pov and the possibility to have an universal parametric ecosystem where anybody could use it for their own case by changing a few parameters. For now there is no "standardized" way of scripting in such a way that a GUI could pick up the modifyable values and present them in a noob-friendly way and, unless you extensively use github to clone repositories of already made modules, there is no easy way to just import a class of objects from internet and use it (maybe i'm wrong here I am just starting to get into OpenScad - I was looking at something like: include [repo_file]; wormgear(parameters). DSM has a 3D objects repository from different vendors.

Onshape looks very compelling but ultimately, for a distribuable code, something like OpenScad or OpenJScad should be considered.
On the commercial packages front, I think Rhino rocks.

My 2c smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2015 11:34AM by realthor.

RepRap Lander concept on Concept Forge
RepRap Lander concept on RepRap Forums
My Things, mostly experimental stuff
August 13, 2015 10:04AM
August 14, 2015 12:19AM
Definitely second the recommendation for Fusion 360. The CAM portion alone his worth 10x the standard price of the program.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2015 12:22AM by Evil Monkey.

[scara3dprinter.wordpress.com]
August 15, 2015 11:06PM
I personally own Solidworks, and am Certified expert by Dessault. I didn't think the few grand was all that much for the basic package.

A friend of mine is a fan of SolidEdge.

Pro E makes me want to drop kick kittens.

Autodesk... anything I'm not a fan of though I have been trained in it.
August 16, 2015 12:09AM
As of this week, OnShape now supports 3D mice under Windows in Chrome and Firefox. You have to DL the latest driver from 3DConnexion to enable it.

Now if they can get the 3D mouse working for OnShape in Linux, it will be goodbye Windows forever!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2015 12:10AM by the_digital_dentist.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
August 18, 2015 08:53AM
I am a mechanical engineer and use ProEngineer ( Now Creo) ... some say solid works is better.
August 18, 2015 08:55AM
If you want to make COOL looking organic designs go with Rhrinocerous with T-splines addon.

If you want to make engineering designs go with Pro-E or Creo or Solidworks
August 18, 2015 11:16AM
CAD generally falls into two catagories. Parametric or NURBs based.

Parametric is the preferred option for mechanical designs, makes use of a design tree and constraints. This allows you to go back in a design' construction and change parameters that are then automatically updated throughout the model/part your designing.

NURBs is more a free form surface modeller that doesnt use a history tree or constraints. It is aimed at more organic freeform modelling/structures

However.....you can create organics in a parametric package, and mechanical designs in a NURBs modeller. It depends on skill level with a particular package.

Personally I use Rhino3D for mechanicals and organics. Im sure most will be using their package for both types aswell during the course of their work.

Take your time picking a package, look at and work through tutorials, try and look at the underlying logic in whichever package you try, and just see what works best for you. All the recomendations in this thread are valid. It will ultimately depend on your budget and what works best for you. In terms of value, purchase cost and integrity (ie no small print due to free use of software, design rights, internet dependanccy etc) for me, Rhino3D wins everytime.
August 19, 2015 01:08PM
Also an Autodesk Inventor fan, I picked it up super quickly and still use it for all my 3D modeling needs! grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login