Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to determine which thermistor I have?

Posted by mrmuffin 
How to determine which thermistor I have?
August 13, 2015 05:13PM
I recently bought this new e3d v6 on amazon and i've been having trouble with the temperature. I wasn't sure what thermistor came with the kit but I looked on the e3d website and it said that it came with this thermistor (104GT-2). I am currently using the Marlin firmware and in the firmware I found two thermistor settings that seemed to match the thermistor I had numbers 55 and number 5 under configuration.h . After trying both settings I measured the nozzle with a thermometer by hand and found that the actual temperatures were lower than what the computer was reading. I currently do not own a multi meter and was hoping that someone here would know how to identify a thermistor without one. I can upload some pictures if you need them. Thank you.
Re: How to determine which thermistor I have?
August 13, 2015 05:31PM
This should guide you!

[wiki.e3d-online.com]
August 13, 2015 06:54PM
I tried using the auto PID calibration but my thermistor is still reading much higher than what the hot end actually is. I'm using the setting stated in the guide (#5 in marlin configuration.h) but the temperatures still arent right. For example when running the pid auto tune at 150c the hot end was only about 70-80c.
August 13, 2015 09:16PM
What'd you measure "by hand" with? An IR gun? Those are useless on small shiny things.
August 13, 2015 09:31PM
I just had a digital thermometer lying around this one.
August 14, 2015 11:18AM
That's not going to be accurate either, very little surface area on the probe.
August 15, 2015 09:38PM
mrmuffin
I tried using the auto PID calibration but my thermistor is still reading much higher than what the hot end actually is. I'm using the setting stated in the guide (#5 in marlin configuration.h) but the temperatures still arent right. For example when running the pid auto tune at 150c the hot end was only about 70-80c.

PID tuning doesn't adjust the measured / actual temperature, all it does is tune the PWM to keep the hot end at temperature without too many dips or overshoots. If Marlin is seeing a reported temperature of 150 degrees, PID tuning will just mean Marlin will keep it at that reported temperature in a more stable fashion.

Are you sure you installed the thermistor properly? Their install guide said to set Marlin to thermistor #5 and that's what I use, I don't see as much of a difference in temperature as you seem to be getting.
August 18, 2015 05:25AM
thanks for sharing
August 18, 2015 12:14PM
put it in a cup of ice water and change thermistor settings till you see it read CLOSE to ZERO!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login