Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Most extreme printer repair/upgrade While PRINTING?

Posted by bryanandaimee 
Most extreme printer repair/upgrade While PRINTING?
September 03, 2015 02:05PM
So a few days ago I was printing some chess pieces for my sons and at the same time I was thinking about modifications to the printer and I thought "Why not?" The printer in question is a Prusa I1 that I have used for quite some time now. I used a 3 inch wide board across the front to hold the electronics. I placed it too high initially and it was limiting my print height. I was thinking that if I moved it down a bit and angled it more forward off the frame, it would allow more space for the extruder on tall prints and allow me to get back some of the print height lost by putting that board in there. I figured that if I was carefull (I know) that I could get it done without interrupting the print. smiling smiley I'm still not sure what I touched to kill the print, but I assume that it was probably a thermistor that got knocked loose momentarily as I was moving the electronics around to access the mounting bolts.

So I got to thinking. How much maintenance is done on printers while printing. I'm sure we've all tightened nuts and screws and stuff. Has anyone done anything more significant than that? What is the most significant repair you have ever attempted while the machine was printing?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2015 01:48PM by bryanandaimee.
Re: Most extreme printer repair/upgrade While PRINTING?
September 03, 2015 04:31PM
Nothing... When I work on my printer its powered down and unplugged from the wall.
September 03, 2015 07:15PM
If you really dont value your limbs and appendages that much, good luck to you. Ill be keeping myne and turing the machine off for mantanance.
September 04, 2015 01:46PM
You guys are no fun at all. We're not talking about industrial metal cutters here. Most encounters with a printer would result in a slight pinch and then the stepper would start skipping steps. You might perhaps get a nice burn if you are unlucky enough to find the hot end through all the fans and steppers and stuff. It would be nearly impossible to do any actuall work on the moving parts anyway. I'm talking about tying off wires, organizing cables, tightening bolts on stationary frame parts, etc.
September 04, 2015 06:08PM
as a roral newbie i'd say power it down... thems some power in them little motors. two burns and pince later..i turn it off lol.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login