Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Silicone heater for heated bed

Posted by cristian 
Silicone heater for heated bed
September 05, 2015 05:39PM
I have never used a heated bed, so here is a newbie question: would you use something like this to heat a small aluminium bed about 100x100mm? In that case, what would be a safe minimal thickness for the aluminium plate to spread heat sufficiently evenly and to be and stay flat, in your experience?
Re: Silicone heater for heated bed
September 05, 2015 06:04PM
I use something similar, except the bed plate is 330mm diameter, the heater is 230V 350W and it has a thermistor built in. My bed plate is 5mm thick. If you will be using glass on top of it then the plate need only be about 2mm thick because the glass will provide the stiffness, especially if you choose 4mm thick glass.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
September 06, 2015 04:45AM
Thanks!
September 06, 2015 05:11AM
Thinking about it, for a 100mm bed I reckon 1.5mm alu and 3mm glass should be plenty thick enough.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
September 06, 2015 05:22AM
That would be less than 150g (excluding silicone and other supports), which would be great. Thanks again!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login