Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3d print slowing down

Posted by tanner331 
3d print slowing down
September 07, 2015 10:08AM
Hi
I have a reprap rostock with a smoothieboard. It runs off of my computer not an lcd. My computer is a 4GB macbook pro.
I am having issues with it slowing down on longer prints. Sometimes it slows down at 3 hrs or it might take until 8 hrs in to slow down. When it slows down it continues to slow until it comes almost to a stop and starts glitching.
Sometimes i can pause the print for a minute and after resuming it will speed up for a few layers but then continue slowing down.
What do you think could be causing this?
Thanks
Tanner
Re: 3d print slowing down
September 07, 2015 10:45AM
Sounds like a USB buffering issue or something related to a power save mode in the computer.

Some people have the computer OS chops to know (or claim to) how to prevent every possible computer induced problem from occuring, but there's still that USB cable and the connectors at both ends, and that keyboard just waiting for a kid, spouse, or pet to touch the wrong key at the wrong time. You can become an expert in the OS and host software of your choice and try to fix all the potential problems, or do what some of us do and eliminate the computer completely by printing from SD cards plugged into the printer. I don't regret any of the time that I haven't spent debugging computer/host software problems in the last couple years.

Don't worry, even if you eliminate the computer/host software problems, you'll still have slicing, print bed adhesion, extruder, and filament problems to deal with.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
September 07, 2015 10:57AM
That is what I thought. I ordered the reprap discount glcd yesterday. Hopefully that will fix this issue.
Tanner
September 07, 2015 11:11AM
Don't forget to get the adapter board for the smoothieboard with it.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
September 07, 2015 11:35AM
the_digital_dentist
Don't forget to get the adapter board for the smoothieboard with it.
I ordered it with the lcd screen
September 07, 2015 03:37PM
It's quite possible to run a smoothieboard without an LCD, or having the computer there all the time:

Just copy the Gcode file onto the SD card, then using a terminal program (I'd use putty on a pc, don't know about macs) get talking to the smoothieboard and issue the play command.
This will make the smoothieboard print from your file, straight off the sd card and you can disconnect the computer while it is running.
See here for more:

[smoothieware.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login