Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Zatsit (that's it) delta printer "without" mecanics, your thoughts.

Posted by J-Max 
Zatsit (that's it) delta printer "without" mecanics, your thoughts.
September 29, 2015 03:52AM
Hi all,

An interesting concept ? What do you think ?

Zatsit delta printer
[vimeo.com]

It's a future kickstarter.

++JM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2015 03:55AM by J-Max.
Re: Zatsit (that's it) delta printer "without" mecanics, your thoughts.
September 29, 2015 07:50AM
I have a hard time believing that the frame is rigid with just a thin piece of plywood at the top and bottom.

I like the folded effector rods. I wonder how long they will last with repeated folding and maybe more importantly, how the length of the fold will change and affect the position of the extruder nozzle.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
September 29, 2015 09:41AM
I would like to recommend that you work with a 3D electronic kit vendor - or at least make a AliExpress shopping list - for a complete electronics BOM.

Also, since you have Hall sensor magnets embedded in the Hylite, make sure to have the matching Hall sensor listed, or available for purchase on your shop.

Even if the Hylite is expected to last 'the life of the machine', please have single-sheet spares available on your site. I know that if I purchased the kit, I'd probably order 2 spare Hylite sheets 'just in case'.
September 29, 2015 09:41AM
I would also be concerned when seeing the same material used for both living hinges and rigid members. Nevermind that, where do you get this Hylite composite? The stuff looks absolutely brilliant.

Between these living-hinge arms and the unibody extrusion of Tiko's delta printer, we could have delta printers as happy meal toys by the next generation. winking smiley

EDIT: I found a place that sells Hylite (modulor), That... Is astonishingly affordable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2015 09:59AM by Feign.
September 29, 2015 10:48AM
Hylite is two aluminum sheets with a polypropylene sheet sandwiched between.

Polypropylene is used extensively in the 'flip top lid' industry:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Of interest, is that the polymer chains should go across the hinge, not parallel to it.

This implies that, unless they are laser-cutting this at a 45 degree angle to the orientation of the polymer chains, either the horizontal or the vertical hinges are going to fail prematurely - see the picture on this page for an early prototype of theirs:

[zatsit.fr]
September 29, 2015 11:06AM
Ezrec
Of interest, is that the polymer chains should go across the hinge, not parallel to it.

This implies that, unless they are laser-cutting this at a 45 degree angle to the orientation of the polymer chains, either the horizontal or the vertical hinges are going to fail prematurely
How do you propose they know what orientation the polymers are facing, or if they are homogeneously oriented at all.

Considering it would take extra consideration for the makers of the composite give an orientation to the polymer strands, it's almost certain that they are randomly oriented anyway.

Aside from that you're technically right. cool smiley
September 29, 2015 11:15AM
As I understand it, unless it's injection molded or cast sheet, both die-drawn (and, so a lesser extent, rolled extrusion) polyproylene will have polymer orientation:

[onlinelibrary.wiley.com]

[thermoformingdivision.com]
September 29, 2015 11:20AM
What´s wrong with good ol´carbon rods and traxxas links? They can take a beating, high acceleration and speed.
IMHO much better than 1.2mm thick composite material. ( How thick are the aluminum sheets again? )

Maybe the material is cheap, but it takes machine-hours to cut the arms ( both sides )

From what I see, the arms are "U"-shaped? Not the stiffest of geometries...
-Olaf
PRZ
September 29, 2015 12:19PM
The problem of Traxxas (and of other system either) is they need quite precise adjustment to have a good accuracy on the machine.
The rod length adjustment is reasonably easy, but proper alignment of balls in plane is quite difficult, and most often, not really adjustable.
I own a Fisher and proper ball positioning is not obtainable with the kit construction method, driving to inaccuracies in parts size.
Those who want good part accuracy had to grind stuff and make careful adjustment.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login