Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

JB welded steel frame?

Posted by gmh39 
JB welded steel frame?
September 30, 2015 01:48PM
Would this work for a basic cube with a few diagonals? I don't haev access to a welder and I don't really see a reason why it wouldn't. Just want to make sure I'm not missing something first.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
Re: JB welded steel frame?
September 30, 2015 01:53PM
I don't see why it wouldn't work, but there's no taking it apart if you decide you don't like something later.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
September 30, 2015 03:11PM
I would say definitely no if you're only using JBWeld. Using bolts to hold the frame together would be much better.
September 30, 2015 04:32PM
As someone who welds for a living....

Put the JB Weld down.... Specifically in the garbage.

Find access to a welder.
September 30, 2015 04:53PM
If you cannot weld then either bolt or rivet the frame
September 30, 2015 05:25PM
would be possible, but I wouldn't.
I could see it working for a slow moving head, with lightweight members, with large glue areas.
you could use many types of glue, not just jb weld.
September 30, 2015 06:02PM
JB Weld is epoxy. I built a carbon fiber bicycle held together with epoxy. I've been riding it for 8 years. It can hold a 3D printer frame together.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
October 01, 2015 05:46PM
JB weld is my go to adhesive for many things but I would not assemble a frame for a printer with it. It might work but you run the risk of losing all your work. Weld or bolt as others have said, then if you want you can JB it to make it even stronger.
October 01, 2015 08:38PM
I bought an old hifi stand the other day in a secondhand shop for £10 to use as a printer frame, spiked feet, removable shelves, leaving a nice TALL frame, I'm hoping to design my Z & X axis, to rotate 90 degrees, so I can use it at the top of this frame as the XY axis. Not seen any printers doing this at the moment.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2015 08:39PM by MechaBits.
October 01, 2015 08:49PM
people get real, shit in == shit out. dumb questions == dumb answers

I know that sounds a bit harsh, its not meant to be, but the truth is....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2015 09:31PM by Mutley3D.
October 04, 2015 02:24AM
JB Weld alone will probably crack due to the stress concentrations at the edges of the joints. However, depending on how you are planning on assembling the frame, using some JB Weld in addition to screwing or bolting the frame together could increase the overall stiffness somewhat.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login