Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ubuntu updated itself - now I see Serial Exceptions on my USB ports

Posted by jbernardis 
Ubuntu updated itself - now I see Serial Exceptions on my USB ports
September 30, 2015 06:55PM
My Ubuntu 14.04 system just updated itself, and not I am unable to use the serial (UScool smiley ports. I get a SerialException and if I change my host program to ignore them, I lose input characters. Basically I am down until this gets fixed. Anybody else seeing this?
Re: Ubuntu updated itself - now I see Serial Exceptions on my USB ports
September 30, 2015 10:51PM
I discovered that I could boot to the old kernel via the grub menu, so this is what I have done. The issue HAS been reported to Ubuntu. I guess I'll just stay behind until they fix it.
October 01, 2015 01:20AM
I have same issue (also ubuntu 14.04, in this case 32 bit)

And solved it the same way

What serial chips set are you using?

Im actuly using a ftdi on a old mega1280 with a ramps.

It better not be failed clone ftdi checking being added to linux!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2015 06:26AM by Dust.
October 01, 2015 06:01AM
It is interesting to know this, because I'm currently assembling a new printer and I will test it with LinuxMint (but i do not see yet this bug). Do you have a link to the bug report?

Prusa i3 - e3d v5 - Gnu/Linux - Pronterface - Slic3r - Octoprint - Rpi - French
October 05, 2015 08:37PM
Hello,

It happened to me as well. Only it happened as a MAXTEMP during a print with the newest kernel then would not connect after that.

Thank you for your into, I thought I fried a board or some such thing. I will attempt to find the bug report and add my info to that request. Or failing that see if the next update fixed it.

I was also able to restore communications after using grub to boot to previous kernel installed and now all seems well again.

----------- EDIT ----------------------

To access the grub menu reboot the computer and hold down the SHIFT key during boot until the menu shows with the available kernels. Go down to the previous version installed. If this fails then install grub from the Software Center and go at it again.

As of this writing the working kernel for me was "3.13.0-63-generic" on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. To find out which kernel you are using at the moment open a terminal and type "uname -r" (without the quotes) then press the enter key.

Regards.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2015 12:15AM by iDude.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login