Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to make my own RepRapDiscount_Full_Graphic_Smart_Controller

Posted by gnokix 
How to make my own RepRapDiscount_Full_Graphic_Smart_Controller
October 01, 2015 12:23AM
Hi there fellows,

I'm new to 3d printing and I'm building my very first reprap i3 printer, also trying to learn something in the process not just that plug and play crap. As you can guess I have a lot of questions to do, but in this case i'll just making one.

I'm trying to solve out how to make my own RepRapDiscount_Full_Graphic_Smart_Controller

I have the following parts:

a buzzer
a rotary encoder
a switch
a ST7920 128x64wz lcd module *the blue one*
a sd module

I make it work separately with the arduino, but I can't find how to connect it with RAMPS 1.4 in order to make it work like the above described controller, the wiki give a plan, so if you are an electronic engineer you can understand, and link to the pcb file, it is "Opensourse if you can afford the license of the program in which i made it from"

c'mon guys, can't they put this thing in a "freaking" .png file? I just need to know the pin mapping!!!

So I just need the pinmapping, that's is. If anyone can help you're making me happy enought to buy you a beer when let yourself drop here in Buenos Aires. smileys with beer or who knows what kind of crazy things can do for it spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Thanks a lot to the community! I was helped too much even with out a single post.
Thanks in advance to all for this punctual help!

See you!
Gnokix

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2015 12:23AM by gnokix.
Re: How to make my own RepRapDiscount_Full_Graphic_Smart_Controller
October 01, 2015 02:28AM
Altium Designer has 30 days free trial.

Download it. and your set

And [reprap.org]
October 01, 2015 06:16AM
Dust
Altium Designer has 30 days free trial.

Download it. and your set

And [reprap.org]

First of all, thank you for taking time to answer this question smiling bouncing smiley.

I tryied to download it, but after sent a form with my personal data (following the download link) a message apears, it says something like this: a company seller will be contacting me in the next working week. it's obvious the program is in the p2p network, so in the worst case i'll downlod it, but this is not the case. I'm trying t get support from the opensource community.

And the plans are the same I mentioned before, means nothing to me, sorry.
October 01, 2015 07:54AM
Printed circuit boards, especially two or more layers, have been a PITA for hobbyists since PCBs were invented. Some things are worth paying a few dollars to have someone else make. I realize you have all the necessary parts, but the PCB (actually two PCBs for this thing) is a part also and a very important one. Making PCBs is a messy process, a difficult one to get right, and not necessarily cheap. You'll end up spending more $ trying to make the PCB than you'll save by not buying the whole, working, already assembled and debugged module. And how many hundreds of hours are you going to spend at it? Is your time and effort worth nothing at all? If you were making something that doesn't already exist, sure, go ahead and make the board, but for something you can buy cheaply off the shelf? Meh. 3D printing is full of things that are going to suck up all your time. This is one that has an extremely low return on the investment.

Look in the controllers forum- someone designed and built a tiny controller that uses a tiny OLED display (I don't know why they did, but they did).

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
October 01, 2015 07:55AM
Gnokix,

Please see the attached file. Hope this helps.

Regards,

John
Attachments:
open | download - GLCD controler.PDF (46.2 KB)
October 01, 2015 08:56AM
the_digital_dentist
Printed circuit boards, especially two or more layers, have been a PITA for hobbyists since PCBs were invented. ...

Thank you pal, I'm not trying to make a pcb, just need the correct pinmapping for my lcd module to RAMPS, module which actually has it's own controller and works like a charm directly to the arduino.

I will take a look on the driver forum, nice tip!
October 01, 2015 09:03AM
jardern
Gnokix,

Regards,

John
Thanks John, this plan is which i saw before, unfortunatelly I'm not understanding it.
October 01, 2015 09:59AM
If you don't understand the schematic, then trying to build one your self may not be an appropriate project. You would be better off to just buy one.

gnokix
jardern
Gnokix,

Regards,

John
Thanks John, this plan is which i saw before, unfortunatelly I'm not understanding it.
October 01, 2015 10:38AM
As I understand it, you're trying to replicate the function of a RRD GLCD module that is wired with a PCB by haywiring all the separate components to the RAMPS board.

If you can't understand the schematic diagram that was posted, what makes you think you'll successfully wire all those parts to the RAMPS board and get it working?

I suggest you save yourself the trouble and just hit your thumb with a hammer. It will give you all the pain you seem to want with very little effort. Then, after having satisfied your desire to suffer, you can just get the RRD module, plug it in, and get on with 3D printing.

October 01, 2015 11:33AM
ElmoC
If you don't understand the schematic, then trying to build one your self may not be an appropriate project. You would be better off to just buy one.

Hi Elmo, I'm not trying to make any PCB, each pin on ramp has a meaning on the arduino side and "this" pcb is just tiyng together the +5v and gnd pins.
Thank you for your answer
October 01, 2015 11:43AM
Wasn't really talking about the PCB. You need to be able to understand schematics just to try doing point to point wiring. In either case, it sounds like this project is beyond your skill set at this time.

ElmoC

gnokix
jardern
Gnokix,

Regards,

John
October 01, 2015 11:57AM
ElmoC
Wasn't really talking about the PCB. You need to be able to understand schematics just to try doing point to point wiring. In either case, it sounds like this project is beyond your skill set at this time.

Thank you.
October 01, 2015 01:27PM
You do not need the schematic to hook up the pins.
Look in your marlin files for pins.h and look for Ultra or LCD to find pins used.
Make sure you are looking for the pins on your motherboard type. You will find this definition in configuration.h.
You will also have to change configuration file to tell compiler you are using an LCD. Here again lookup lcd for options.
I have not used the graphics LCd only the 4 x 20 line so I can not help you with that.
There are a lot of different suppliers of these so google to find one with better instructions.

You will learn a lot more the way you are going but be prepared for the frustration. The joy of making it work is worth it to me.

George
October 01, 2015 01:36PM
george4657
Look in your marlin files for pins.h and look for Ultra or LCD to find pins used.
Make sure you are looking for the pins on your motherboard type. You will find this definition in configuration.h.
You will also have to change configuration file to tell compiler you are using an LCD. Here again lookup lcd for options.
I have not used the graphics LCd only the 4 x 20 line so I can not help you with that.
There are a lot of different suppliers of these so google to find one with better instructions.

You will learn a lot more the way you are going but be prepared for the frustration. The joy of making it work is worth it to me.

George

Thank you very much George, this is the kind of reply i'm looking for in this forum. smileys with beer

Anyways, I taken a more deep look at the skematich of the PCB, and it obviously is not explaining the important thing to me, how to wire it on the RAMPs side, just what i'm looking for. Anyway, in way or another I'll find the solution and it will be posted here.

Thanks a lot!
gnokix

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2015 01:41PM by gnokix.
October 01, 2015 06:11PM
If you want a basic tutorial for wiring a LCD to an arduino, check out AdaFruit tutorials here and here
October 01, 2015 08:55PM
The full graphic LCD actually connects to a separate adapter board via 2 ribbon cables (labeled as EXP1 and EXP2 in the schematics), and the adapter board then plugs into the RAMPS board. The adapter board schematic can be found here reprap.org. In the adapter schematics, AUX3 and AUX4 are the pins used to connect to the RAMPS board, and it shows the connections of the RAMPS pins to the ribbon cables (EXP1 and EXP2). Then its just a matter of matching the pins of EXP1 and EXP2 in both schematics.

Edit: Here is AUX3 and AUX4 on the RAMPS board reprap.org

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2015 09:02PM by sdavi.
October 02, 2015 09:18AM
ElmoC
If you want a basic tutorial for wiring a LCD to an arduino, check out AdaFruit tutorials here and here

Thank you ElmoC, i'm able to use it directly to the arduino, what i'm trying to do is connect it to the RAMPS.
October 02, 2015 09:52AM
sdavi
The full graphic LCD actually connects to a separate adapter board via 2 ribbon cables (labeled as EXP1 and EXP2 in the schematics), and the adapter board then plugs into the RAMPS board. The adapter board schematic can be found here reprap.org. In the adapter schematics, AUX3 and AUX4 are the pins used to connect to the RAMPS board, and it shows the connections of the RAMPS pins to the ribbon cables (EXP1 and EXP2). Then its just a matter of matching the pins of EXP1 and EXP2 in both schematics.

Edit: Here is AUX3 and AUX4 on the RAMPS board reprap.org

Thank you sdavi, I had no spare time to go forward with it, I hope during week end can solve out this, thanks for the help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2015 09:52AM by gnokix.
October 03, 2015 04:07PM
[www.banggood.com]

October 06, 2015 03:57PM
the_digital_dentist
[www.banggood.com]
Hi tdd! thank you for posting, I know you're trying to help me and appreciate it.

Anyway, I found this [1], this is not what I was looking for, but may be help.
Also found this [2][3] the guys did what I want to do, there's no much information but they give us a clue in one of the images.
And found at the reprap wiki [4] the 2 sides printout of the ramps and the pinmap for the arduino [5] and [6].

1) [reprap.org]
2) [www.thingiverse.com]
3) [www.thingiverse.com]
4) [reprap.org]
5) [www.zembedded.com]
6) [files.hwkitchen.com]

with this and the information found in the pins.h file it should be done.

Tank you again george for the moral support and the hints.

george4657

George

Actually I'm short of time, but I hope put a hand on it soon. I will show you the results.
Thank you all, see you soon.
October 28, 2015 05:56PM
Have you find a solution to operate the rotary knob
winking smiley thank you winking smiley
October 29, 2015 08:34AM
chtipanda
Have you find a solution to operate the rotary knob
winking smiley thank you winking smiley

Hi pal, unfortunatelly have other bussines on my hands right now that preventing me to further continue with it, I found this but haven't tested yet, hope it helps.

Simple universal LCD menu code
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login