Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Giant spool of filament

Posted by DjDemonD 
Giant spool of filament
October 10, 2015 03:09PM
I was in a local recycling/upcycling store today and picked up this massive spool of yellow plastic filament for £5. Wine glass shown for scale in the image.

It's abs by the smell of it when I burnt a small piece and is 1.7mm diameter. I have never seen anything this size before it must be 10kgs at least.

Does anyone know what it have been intended for, it doesn't look like it was meant for the small scale 3d printing industry?

Will see if it prints later I'll have to wind some onto a normal size spool it needs a clean up too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2015 03:12PM by DjDemonD.
Attachments:
open | download - 2015-10-10 20.07.45.jpg (106.2 KB)
VDX
Re: Giant spool of filament
October 10, 2015 03:40PM
... prior to 3D-printing plastic filament spools were used for plastic welding ... but beside "small scale 3d printing industry" there are some bigger industrial grade printers too winking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
October 10, 2015 03:54PM
This is what I've read on line is it suitable to print with?
VDX
October 10, 2015 04:09PM
... try it ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
October 10, 2015 04:16PM
I will.
October 10, 2015 08:03PM
How consistent is the diameter on it?
October 10, 2015 08:14PM
Quick search on the part number gathered the MSDS sheet.
Attachments:
open | download - msds060.pdf (84 KB)
October 10, 2015 11:54PM
They make shakesphere fishing line as well as weed whacker string. This could be a bulk raw product for processing. This a nylon filament.
October 11, 2015 04:53AM
Thanks for the data sheet, nice low melting point 200-215 deg C.
October 11, 2015 06:19PM
Tried printing with this, prints okay with a bed temp at 90 and extruder at 210. The warping is very bad even a 2cm calibration cube printed on a raft with a wide brim showed some layer delamination mid way up the part from warping. So it can be printed with but doesn't seem to be ideal for it. I presume commercially available nylon filament for 3d printing is a different polymer or contains some modifiers to reduce warping. Oh well back to the ABS and PLA. Thanks for the advice and information.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login