Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

large scale computer desk reprap concept

Posted by jkelso 
large scale computer desk reprap concept
August 27, 2010 12:20PM
I am thinking of developing a large scale design once I have my Isaac build complete, and the thought of using one of the bases for my computer desk as a framework struck me. If I could design this, the framework could be purchased at a chain store for less than $100 for two of these metal bases.
Re: large scale computer desk reprap concept
August 27, 2010 11:17PM
Ahh probally would not want to extrude at 0.5mm!
August 27, 2010 11:35PM
being new to all this I'm guessing that .5 mm is a small extrusion size and would take a lot of time?
August 28, 2010 04:25PM
Large format printer may be easier. Ask around local printing companies, scrap yards, universities, colleges, businesses, IT departments.

I'm sure you could make it work, but a rigid frame is only a part of the battle. Large format printer has 1 axis taken care of for you. Give it leadscrews for a Z, an extruder, and a Y table and you've got a nice/large machine.

Linear rails can be found surplus on ebay for not much money. The requirements don't call for much rigidity so you can get away with a long flimsy one. As repstraps go: linear rails are the easiest way to take care of linear movement.

One of my projects is to convert chinese digital calipers to ground rail/feedback encoder combinations. A 12" pair is $40, a 7" is $10. That's 3 axis of accuracy for $60.

Now add four NEMA 17s, belts, and extruder: pretty big work envelope.

I like the idea. Reminds me of the tables they used to build ornamental lathes around.
August 28, 2010 07:08PM
I don't want to lose my new desk though. First I need to get my Isaac Mendel assembled and working nicely and then think about developing something larger. Maybe using NEMA 23's?
at this scale, you could even print your own stepper motors. it would need a huge plastic wheel with embedded or attached magnets every 0.5 cm. and then 4 electromagnets.
September 07, 2010 12:48AM
jkelso, don't chop up innocent furniture before building Tim Schmidt's Eiffel:

http://reprap.org/wiki/Eiffel smiling bouncing smiley

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login