Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MK8 heatsinking, is this a better solution?

Posted by bonmotwang 
MK8 heatsinking, is this a better solution?
October 15, 2015 04:31PM
While modeling MK8 into Solidworks, I figured out a better way and more efficiently to remove the heat.
I integrated the heatsink into the base plate.

This is the normal MK8

With the normal MK8 design the air flow is limited to one side of the heatsink, except the 8mm hole in the middle of the heatsink.
The heat from the nozzle moves into the heatsink with some air gaps, then gets removed by the fan.

And this is my design

The heat from the nozzle gets transferred into the "built in" heatsink much more efficiently and the airflow is not worse than the original design.

Not big deal here, I thought I can save one part by doing it this way.

Printer I bought: 2015 Sunhokey Prusa i3
Printer I am designing: Another big CoreXY machine
Re: MK8 heatsinking, is this a better solution?
October 15, 2015 07:36PM
Possibly cheaper to use the premade heatsinks as the cost is lower, nothing like having extra though, I bought one of these small 42mm heatsinks, even though it only had 2 holes not 4, thought I wanted it for cooling the stepper but there's no way to attach it to the back without unscrewing long screws holding things together, I decided not to bother, I've heard about steppers getting hot but not experienced it yet.

As for if it would help with filaments I wouldn't know I'm planning bowden type for now.
Re: MK8 heatsinking, is this a better solution?
October 15, 2015 08:31PM
MechaBits
Possibly cheaper to use the premade heatsinks as the cost is lower, nothing like having extra though, I bought one of these small 42mm heatsinks, even though it only had 2 holes not 4, thought I wanted it for cooling the stepper but there's no way to attach it to the back without unscrewing long screws holding things together, I decided not to bother, I've heard about steppers getting hot but not experienced it yet.

As for if it would help with filaments I wouldn't know I'm planning bowden type for now.

Heatsink for MK8 does only have 2 holes. There are only 2 screw holes on MK8 can be used to mount MK8 heatsink.

Printer I bought: 2015 Sunhokey Prusa i3
Printer I am designing: Another big CoreXY machine
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login