Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Artifical Muscles

Posted by zzorn 
VDX
Re: Artifical Muscles
May 01, 2009 04:07PM
Hi Anno,

for practicable cylinders/pistons you need accurate surfaces, what's not reprappable yet.

Better try with elastic materials for structures like the arms of a squid ...

Viktor
May 01, 2009 04:56PM
Unless you were to machine them of course, which is part of my idea for a gen 3 system.

Anno
VDX
February 20, 2015 05:02AM
... quoting my own post:
VDX
Hi zzorn,

... the simplest moving structure, which can be build by 3D-fabbing, is a pneumatic or hydraulic setup from a highly elastic resin.

Image a 'finger' from elastic silicone with some capilaries in the outer area:
- if i apply pressure to a capilary on one side (and mabe vacuum to the corresponding one on the other side), then the finger would bend away from the pressurized side.

Combine three fingers on a platform and settle this platform on a bigger structure in the same layout, so you have a bendable 'hand' with three 'fingers', which are bending and moving corresponding to the pressure in the right capillaries ...

With more complex inner structures you can make very much sophisticated morphing as twisting, expanding and contracting too ...

As you build the parts in slices, you can output every complexity you wish, so with the right resin there it's no problem to build elastic tentacles or more complex figered hands, which can perform highly sophisticated tasks.

The controlling software isn't so easy then, but with a guy, which is in developing neural-networks, i hope to build a NN-simulator, which would 'learn' the right moves by error-feedback on his own.

When the software is 'trained', then it could be copied and is now from the start capable of moving the same structures with high accuracy.

Or it could 'learn' further to handle mechanical and geometrical changes or misfittings ...

Viktor

[www.3ders.org]

... several years later, but now someone is printing 'pneumatic morphing' fingers and assembling them to hands ... my expectation is some five to ten years more for first pneumatic force-feedback for integrated 'sensitivity' and a bit more for the 'omni-morphers' resembling squids or polypes winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2015 05:02AM by VDX.

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
VDX
October 15, 2015 03:18PM
... and some more progress winking smiley

[www.3ders.org]

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
October 16, 2015 01:56PM
Very cool!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login