Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printing dimensions not matching with 3D drawing

Posted by Radical Technology 
Printing dimensions not matching with 3D drawing
October 20, 2015 01:57AM
Hello Everyone,

I have a prusa I3 printer. I am trying to print attached .stl file. (145.6 * 165 * 50 mm ) JBCover.docx
However when I printed perimeter then I found that the dimensions are off by 30 mm which is too high.

I have used Slice3r slicer. Can someone help me to understand why this is happening. I am using SD card to store g code file.

Regards,

Radical Technology
Re: Printing dimensions not matching with 3D drawing
October 20, 2015 05:13AM
Hi,
Your STL file seems to be good: slic3r say that the part dimensions are 146.75x165x50mm. I think your error is due to a bad calibration of your printer. You can try this: use your host software to displace the X and Y axis of 100mm, and measure how much your printer move in reality. If it is not 100mm, you know that you should compute your steps per unit, and modify your firmware configuration with the right values.

[prusaprinters.org]

Prusa i3 - e3d v5 - Gnu/Linux - Pronterface - Slic3r - Octoprint - Rpi - French
October 20, 2015 01:23PM
Thanks Man!

But it seems I made some blunder in the wiring. Now my objects are shifting on Y axis after few layers. Please refer attached photo.
I have printed this part earlier with 0.1 mm layer height and it has come really smooth.

Can you guys help me why this is happening. Im sure this is not a mechanical issue. sad smiley

Regards,

Radical
Attachments:
open | download - WP_20151020_001.jpg (285.2 KB)
October 21, 2015 02:15AM
It is hard to tell you the reason of this shifting... It can be:
* Maybe you are over-extruding: extruding too much filament make the nozzle scrape to the printed part.
* Maybe your bed is a bit too high
* Are your stepsticks calibrated? You must tune the stepsticks to adjust their power

Prusa i3 - e3d v5 - Gnu/Linux - Pronterface - Slic3r - Octoprint - Rpi - French
October 21, 2015 05:30AM
I have problems with slic3r and shifting layers on the y axis, I thought it may be tight belt tension, was unable to produce the same result using cura
October 22, 2015 11:52PM
Dear kimented,

I displaced X n Y axes using manual mode in repetier host. I gave command of 100mm n they travelled exactly 100 mm.
Even I checked steps/ mm values and found them correct when compared with Prusa calculator. Now I'm really confused why its printing less dimensions than actual design dimensions
October 23, 2015 12:22AM
My shifting layers were due to Y motor voltage being to low. Raised it from .5 to .7 . It takes about 10 minutes to adjust all motors.
sad smileysad smileyRe: Printing dimensions not matching with 3D drawing
October 28, 2015 10:54PM
Hello everyone,

Sadly everyday I am facing new problems.

1. I am using repetier V1.4 firmware and repetier host software. On hardware side, I am using Melzi V2.0 board, GT2 belt, 16 teeth pully for X and Y axis motors
2. For last 2 days, I am printing same part (refer image) and found that on first day it printed correctly till 90% and at 90% completion suddenly whole printing shifted in Y direction by around 5 mm and ruined my print.
3. On second day when I was printing same part layers shifted in Y direction at 70% completion. This shift was around 1 mm

Initially i thought it must be belt tension or Y axis pulley must be loose. But I checked everything and found it to be OK.
Also, layers dont continue to shift forever, i mean once they shift in Y direction at a certain point, they start printing further layers correctly on this new co ordinates instead of desired co ordinates.
Is it because I am printing from SD card.

Pls help. I desperately need to complete this part correctly. Its very frustrating to see the good print getting ruined due to shifting in Y direction.

Link to photograph:
October 29, 2015 10:12AM
Try lowering acceleration in firmware, Print at slower speeds

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80,80,400,634.42}
#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {500, 500, 2, 25}
#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {1800,1800,15,500}
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login