RepRap Hot End Problems
October 20, 2015 12:15PM
Hello! First time poster here!

I have designed, created, and built, a reprap printer with Ramps 1.4 (Marlin firmware) and ran into a problem with the hot end. I got a LulzBot TAZ Single Extruder Tool Head v2 from a buddy and wanted to use it with Ramps but it takes FOREVER to heat up. I can barely get the hot end to 196 degrees C and that's it. It takes about 15 minutes to warm up to that temp.

Im not an electrical person but I think Lulzbot runs on 24V and not 12V like I am? would that have an influence? Does anyone have a work around? The only other thing I notice is that the thickness of the wire is small... I would assume 22 or 20 gauge. Do I need to beef up the wire? This may be hard because the hot end came assembled from lulzbot and they have a small wire going to a connector. You can see here:https://www.lulzbot.com/products/lulzbot-taz-single-extruder-tool-head-v2

Any help would be deeply appreciated. Once I have this hot end working I will have a fully functional printer!

Here is my reprap as of now....

THANK YOU!
Re: RepRap Hot End Problems
October 20, 2015 12:51PM
Check the resistance of the heater. If it is in the 20 ohm range it is for 24V. If it is in the 10 ohm range it is for 12V.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
October 20, 2015 12:57PM
I'm at work right now and not near the printer, but lets assume it comes up with 20 ohm.... am I screwed? Can I just replace the heater core?

Thanks for the reply smiling smiley
October 20, 2015 01:02PM
Measure the resistance as Srek suggests. 12 to 24 ohms would indicate a 24V heater, and 3 to 6 ohms indicates a 12V heater. If it turns out to be 24V and is a standard size cartridge heater, you can buy a 12V version on eBay.

Shame you bought a RAMPS, there are much better boards available and most of them can be powered from 24V.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 20, 2015 01:08PM
Doing research online im 99.9% positive its for 24V. I do have a spare 12V 30w heater core sitting idle. So I will swap them ok.

Be easy on me here dc42 since this is my first build.... but i do have a Ultimachine RAMBO 1.3 board sitting in its box. I would use that straight up... but i only have a 12V power supply currently and none of the wires I have can connect since it uses those other connectors. Is it really that much of a step up in function going from Ramps to Rambo??? I thought they are the same? R in rambo means Ramps....

Sorry Im prolly making ppl mad with my lack of knowledge haha.

edit: speeeeeeling

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2015 01:26PM by mschmotz.
October 20, 2015 01:21PM
RAMBO provides software control of stepper motor currents and AFAIK it properly supports dual hot ends, but otherwise isn't really a step up from RAMPS. The trend now is to use 32-bit boards that provide native USB ports, built-in SD card sockets, and in some cases an Ethernet port providing a web interface. They cost from $50 upwards including on-board drivers in some cases.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2015 01:23PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 20, 2015 01:41PM
Interesting. Ill have to get mine running.

Could you PM me a link to one of the controllers you believe is the best bang for the buck that meets your expectations of a good controller?

I believe this thread is concluded now. Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login