Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

leadscrew nut with pla

Posted by deaconfrost 
leadscrew nut with pla
October 30, 2015 02:23PM
I made some 10mm leadscrew nuts with PLA, 80% infill, it seems very solid and doesn't look like it would wear too fast, I think I will try that on a Mega i3 with 10mm leadscrew which I already have

anyone else tried using PLA for this? how long did it last before you need to replace the nut?

when I turn the nut on the leadscrew it doesn't feels like it would wear any time soon, but again, I never know smiling smiley

I do have brass nuts there if I really need to use them, but printed ones would be ideal if they last long enough

also there is no backlash whatsoever which I like a lot smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2015 02:25PM by deaconfrost.
Re: leadscrew nut with pla
October 30, 2015 03:31PM
I would expect the heat from the friction to soften them on long prints. If you have trouble with them, this technique may work for you.
October 30, 2015 04:24PM
thanks for the tip, Im going to use it on the Z axis so there be very little movement, hopefully it last long enough till I get my new design finished, if not I just have to go back to the old parts, I can't use the brass nut on this without making Z top Z bottom and new X idler and motor mount as it is an i3, finger crossed smiling smiley
October 31, 2015 07:44AM
its a good fit, smooth easy to turn no backlash, hope it last a while smiling smiley

going to draw the new parts to allow me to use a brass nut just in case the PLA get soften, but with such little movements on the Z axis Im hoping it won't come to that

printed at 0.1mm layer height without support

October 31, 2015 06:49PM
Nice. Do yourself a favor and add a belt tensioner. Makes assembly so much easier.

October 31, 2015 06:56PM
yea I only though of that when I printed out the idler and in the middle of printing the motor mount now, a bit late smiling smiley

I be building a different design altogether after putting the leadscrew on, just so I have a perfect 190mm height for the parts I need to print, it be a 300mm x 300mm x 400mm print area with full leadscrew drive. anti backlash on all axis smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2015 06:59PM by deaconfrost.
October 31, 2015 10:27PM
Neat idea. I wonder if that would work in nylon.
November 01, 2015 05:32AM
It would ☺
November 01, 2015 05:38PM
so far so good smiling smiley

leadscrew fitted
November 01, 2015 06:43PM
I wonder if you added another Z lug at the bottom would it add further support, I know you not using brass inserts in this, but in the setup I'm using I can add 2 brass nuts and tighten things up which seems to take out any backlash, not the I'm noticing any backlash on the Z at the moment.
November 01, 2015 06:54PM
the brass nut for 10mm is too big, I have the flange nut and the flange is 32mm diameter, the smooth rod is in the way, unless I draw new top and bottom as well as x end and x motor, otherwise its not possible to fit them, I do have 4 nuts and springs to make the anti backlash though.

but the pla parts have no backlash at all so far....
December 16, 2015 03:49PM
I found this on thingiverse and he said that the PLA has held up very well:
[www.thingiverse.com]

I'm currently designing my own leadscrew nut for a printer that uses 10mm threads. I haven't tested it yet, but the CAD model is here for now if you'd like to take a look at it:
[www.3dcontentcentral.com]

Edit: My version i'm not sure if the thread size is right as the hole looks much bigger than it should, but as an update the guy from Thingiverse has now uploaded a modified version of mine to his thingiverse page. So that's cool. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2015 06:42PM by BioLumo.
December 17, 2015 09:24AM
I've now posted mine on Thingiverse:
[www.thingiverse.com]

It's still untested as of now, but i'm fairly sure it will work. Any feedback is welcome.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2015 08:44PM by BioLumo.
December 25, 2015 07:48PM
Idea: Two separate nuts, each with a little bit of backlash, with screws to pull them together (or apart), with some lever action to achieve fine tuning. This way, you can just tighten the screw as the plastic nuts wear, and you can tighten or loosen depending on whether you want precision or speed.
January 02, 2016 07:55AM
just some update, the parts I made are still working perfect, not a problem, and printer being printing very much non stop since.

if you were to use 2 nuts, you are better to use springs between the 2 nuts for anti backlash.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login