Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ideas for printer build video series. Good budget.

Posted by IMarsbar 
Ideas for printer build video series. Good budget.
November 04, 2015 06:36PM
Hey there, I have not been on this forum much, mainly just stalking,
Anyway to cut short
I have received a sum of money from my youtube network that I am partnered with to create a new YouTube series which will be based upon 3D printing, Specifically the reprap side of things.
My main part of this will be to build your own, not from a kit, but parts.

Currently I have a Prusia i3 that I have been using for over a year that I built over 3 months buying part, I feel this was better then buying a kit as I have very rarely had any major problems with it.

Anyway, I am looking at a budget of £700 area (less the better tongue sticking out smiley ) to build a "RepRap" then rest of budget is for camera gear etc
Was thinking of going for a Delta style printer as the bed doesn't move and I think it is mesmerizing how it moves and easily en-closable but I want a bigger printer then normal.
Also want to try and make is as simple as possible as also bring my Daughter into the filming to show that this is for everybody.
Also doing reviews of items, like I have been reviewing Mutley's Printbite compared to Buildtak and ABS slurry etc (Spoiler Printbite is epic, and no i have not been paid to say that haha)

Anyway, After some ideas of what printer to build, links to files / hardware list etc and any other tips that would be greatly appreciated.
Re: Ideas for printer build video series. Good budget.
November 05, 2015 03:56AM
If I got you right, you want to build something on your own, but ask us for a Bill of material. That doesn't make sense to me...

You could build a Kossel XL, but "unfortunately" it already exists as kit.
You could start using robotdiggs Aluminum Delta corners and source the rest on your own.
-Olaf
November 05, 2015 05:19AM
Check out dc42's blog, he has a large delta post which includes a BOM
November 05, 2015 05:54AM
Hi,

It's Prusa (exaclty Průša...) not Prusia winking smiley

[docs.google.com]

++JM
November 05, 2015 07:26AM
Cheers for feedback, will check links when finish work.

@o_lampe sorry I am really bad at explaining my thoughts, one reason why I started youtube to improve myself.
I am not looking at inventing my own printer, I am looking for quite a popular printer that I can do a "how to" guide basically on how to build it. But not as a kit, one reason I find that not as interesting, most work already done, and 2, I want to make this so many people can follow along, they wont have a few £k to hand like I do so bit by bit is better.
Going to need allot of planning before I start buying,

What would you lot like to see a step by step guide on how to build one that you could get your friends / family interested.
November 05, 2015 01:25PM
Well, I could share my delta build with you, but first you would have to make a video of building a CNC router smiling smiley
November 05, 2015 06:24PM
since there are hundreds of "how to" build video's, Why not do a Rap Strap build? Frankenstein some salvaged parts and make it work. build cost would be minimal, and as you build you can show what is important in the build process and why it is important. To me that is much more interesting and educational then the" here's where to put your nut" videos.
November 05, 2015 06:48PM
@cat.farmer That is a great idea, would not know how to go about it off my head though. as I do have allot of parts lying about.
as wanting the series to be open to all people wanting to build a printer that won't have the spares like I have laying around. But unlike others I do not want a pre-done kit, and want to show how stuff can be done differently rather then just following the design by the letter and try be unique...somehow.
I have thrown myself in the deep end as I have to do this now but want to make it entertaining somehow, well out of my comfort zone, but it is the reason why I started YouTube to self improve.
Should receive my budget within next two weeks and have to make a Prototype video for 31st December,
November 05, 2015 08:57PM
To start, look for common/hardware store parts, plywood, old printer and scanner parts. That is where I started with my printer. After I had it functioning I designed and printed new parts to make it more solid. The Motors, contol board, hotend and the extruder would need to be "purchased", but everything else you can make with nothing more then hand tools.
More then happy to help you on your journey, if you decide that is the path you want to go down.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login