Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CAD or Other Files Containing Dimension Specifications

Posted by Demented Chihuahua 
CAD or Other Files Containing Dimension Specifications
October 24, 2007 02:34PM
Hi all,

Are there AutoCAD or AutoCAD-like compliant files containing the dimensions for the extruder pump? I want to machine my own but I havent' been able to find files I can get dimensions off of. Any help would be appreciated.

Demented
Re: CAD or Other Files Containing Dimension Specifications
October 24, 2007 02:54PM
Nop has machined a set of parts for the Mk II. Maybe you should see what he has.
October 24, 2007 05:27PM
Demented,
I manually extracted dimensions from AOI and made 2D drawings in Visio with dimension lines on them. I then manually used those dimensions to make Python scripts to mill the parts. Let me know if they are of any use to you and I will post them up on my blog.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
October 24, 2007 08:15PM
Nophead,

Yeah, those would be very useful. I think one of the big hurdles to getting a RepStrap going is a lack of support for filetypes and standards people are used to dealing with. If you would post those files, I would be very greatful.

Demented
October 27, 2007 08:04AM
Demented,
I have put the drawings up on my blog at [hydraraptor.blogspot.com] but having reviewed them I did change a few things and some things are out of date so beware. I have attached the Visio source file.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Attachments:
open | download - extruder.vsd (197 KB)
October 27, 2007 02:47PM
Nophead,

Thanks for posting those drawings. They are exactly what I needed. I haven't got my AOI up and running correctly so I was having trouble dimensioning these parts. Everytime I open an STL file in AOI it tells me it isn't a Gzip format and won't open it. I don't know what is going on and haven't really taken much time to fix it as I'm more interested in my physical build at this point.

Thanks for the files.

Demented
Anonymous User
October 27, 2007 03:14PM
The AOI trick is to import the stl, not open it.
You also have to have the STL plugin installed it is referenced in the how to build reprap stuff.

The way to get dimensions is to draw a curve (in this case a straight line) across the dimensions you want to measure and then read the length of the line from its window on the right.

Dan
October 27, 2007 03:56PM
Dan,

Thanks, I suppose I didn't read the installation documentation very well. I'll get that done and see where I'm at then. I really do need to get my software up and running as I'm getting very close to having a complete system here.

Demented
nophead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Demented,
> I manually extracted dimensions from AOI and made
> 2D drawings in Visio with dimension lines on them.
> I then manually used those dimensions to make
> Python scripts to mill the parts. Let me know if
> they are of any use to you and I will post them up
> on my blog.

Would you by any chance happen to have some CAD files (ProEngineer/AutoCAD/3DSMax) for Reprap? I am thinking of designing the machine virtually too and a headstart would be nice, although I do not know animations yet.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login