Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What Reprap should I use ?

Posted by DelarnLeviathan 
What Reprap should I use ?
September 08, 2010 12:16PM
Hi I would like to know what Reprap could fit my needs . I need to have a 3D printer that is precice enough to give rough details on a 30 mm scale sculpture.

I'm using Zbrush so I can go up to 3 million polygones in a single sculpture. I decided to limit myself to 800 000 polys.

Thanks. Oh and where can I find parts for the printer ?
Re: What Reprap should I use ?
September 08, 2010 12:51PM
Printed Parts for the mendel, the current most advanced model of Reprap, are on EBAY for a lot of money. McMaster.com has the steel tubes and Z screws for yout bot, and IDK where to get the electronic stuff. RRRF has the stepper motors, no?

For small apps, buy a makerbot kit (full kit...) at Makerbot.com or maybe an Up! printer (I haven't tried it, but I heard it's good.) Both can do pretty good detail. But the real engineer will pay the bit more money to get 4x the print area. Bitsfrombytes and RapmanUSA sell a lasercut Darwin. Truly adventurous people will build their own.
September 08, 2010 12:58PM
I don't really know what printer you should buy, but once you decided, here is where you can buy them:
If you want a Mendel, this page is useful for finding the parts: [www.reprap.org]
Makerbot can be bought on [makerbot.com] and UP on [pp3dp.com]

I hope that information helps you.

my blog: [reprap.tman.be]
September 10, 2010 12:36PM
Thanks, I'll have to find a 0.25mm extruder. If someone make a smaller one I would be interested. (like 0.15mm) I need to be utraprecise but so far I'm thrilled by the Reprap. I would prefer having a Huxley but it's not our yet.

If I buy the material can someone print it for me ?
September 10, 2010 04:52PM
> If I buy the material can someone print it for me?

You could try your luck here.
Or ask some of the people here.

I believe 800k polygons is way overkill compared to the detail you can get from a diy 3D printer right now though. One of the better models I've seen is this one.

Keep us posted on your progress! smiling smiley
September 10, 2010 06:57PM
If you decide to get a 0.25mm plastruder, we have them fully assembled or in kit form at MakerGear.

Rick
September 10, 2010 09:37PM
Rick Pollack Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you decide to get a 0.25mm plastruder, we have
> them fully assembled or in kit form at MakerGear.
>
> Rick

I've seen some at 20$ on ebay with shipping ...
September 11, 2010 03:32PM
I go cheap on my plastic, and quality on my motors, electronics, and hot end. Makergear has the highest quality, most tested hot ends in the hobby. That's the beautiful thing about open source, the price difference between the best and the worst is only about 20-30%.

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
September 16, 2010 01:22PM
Actually it's a test I would like to make. a 30mm miniature in a .25mm extruder with a Mendel. I would be able I think to make a rough start and redifine it to make a nice miniature to sell to my clients. I would go from full sculpt to modding. Making a lot more miniature for the same time.
September 17, 2010 11:13AM
about the .25 mm extruder.... I have a .3mm extruder I'm using with black ABS and it extrudes at more like .5mm I hear that the color adds some width to it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login