Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Storing Filament in Freezing Temperatures

Posted by Garry Bartsch 
Storing Filament in Freezing Temperatures
November 19, 2015 04:46PM
My wife has decided she no longer wants to see my ever growing collection of filament stacked on and under the counter in our office. I'm not sure why she feels this way but because women rule I need to find a new home for the plastic and the best other location is in our attached garage which may reach -10 to -15C (14 to 5F) in winter. Will ABS, PLA, Nylon, etc. filaments be damaged by freezing? Obviously they would be brittle when frozen but after they were thawed would they be the same as prior to freezing? I have a feeling they will all be fine but don't want to risk more than $1,000 worth of plastic before hearing from some people who have good understanding of how freezing affects plastic. Thanks for any input.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2015 06:22PM by Garry Bartsch.

New browser from the creator of Opera: [vivaldi.com]
Re: Storing Filament in Freezing Temperatures
November 19, 2015 11:17PM
I live in Florida so I haven't had much experience with temperatures below 0c. That being said take some samples for each filament and put them in your freezer. Thaw and print various objects and see how it goes.

Prusa i3 Rework - Ramps 1.4 - E3d Lite6 - Full Graphic LCD Controller
November 20, 2015 03:29AM
I would be surprised if they take damage. The cold will help to keep the filament dry though.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
November 20, 2015 09:21AM
I would be worried about condenstation once you bring them in. but assumimg you wrap each one, with some silica gel, and leave them that way until they are at room temp, I think they would be just fine.
November 20, 2015 09:47AM
The key word here is "WIFE"
And "SEE"
I would find plastic bins
That I could storage them organized and out of her VIWING
And keep them in house!
November 20, 2015 04:47PM
You gotta nip that stuff in the bud! Time to flex!

Keep your pimp hand strong!

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
November 23, 2015 10:56PM
Thanks all for the advice. I put a sample in the freezer and while I haven't printed with it yet it doesn't seem to break any easier than before freezing. I shall test more.

New browser from the creator of Opera: [vivaldi.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login