Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Power Supply Amperage requirements with Duet

Posted by patrickrio 
Power Supply Amperage requirements with Duet
November 19, 2015 08:07PM
I am trying to build a new printer using a laptop style power supply and a Duet 0.6 control board.

If I use a standard E3D lite nozzle, 0.8 amp motor for extruder, and 3 0.5 amp motors for movements and without heated bed, what are my power supply amp requirements for a 12 volt design? how about a 24v design?

Thanks.
Re: Power Supply Amperage requirements with Duet
November 19, 2015 11:15PM
E3d heater for the lite 6 is 30w heater. 2.5 amps
Motors 1x.8, 3x.5=2.3 amps
Other electronic needs= 1 amp
6 amp 12v supply would probably be sufficent.

Prusa i3 Rework - Ramps 1.4 - E3d Lite6 - Full Graphic LCD Controller
November 20, 2015 02:05AM
Stepper current is not same as PSU current.
PSU current is much lower, like factor 4-5 because the stepper drivers chop the current.
A 12V5A is suitable but I recommend a bigger one for longevity and safety. 24V is possible with matching heater-element and fans.
-Olaf
November 20, 2015 03:26AM
You should allow 30W for the E3D, up to 7W for each Nema 17 motor, 2W per fan, 2W for the elecrronics, and 3W if you decide to add a PanelDue. Total about 68W. So I suggest a 80W or greater PSU.

If you choose a laptop PSU, these are normally 19V. You can get 19V fans and cartridge heaters from RepRapPro, however 24V components should work. If you use a 24V 40W heater at 19V then it will produce 25W.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
November 20, 2015 05:25AM
The most common sizes for 24v power supplies seem to be 3A/70W, 3.75A/90W and 5A/120W. Here is a list of the power supplies:

Amazon 24V Power Supplies

I like to order from Amazon because if it doesn't work, the return policy is good.

I have a 70W universal power supply already, so I will try that first.
November 20, 2015 05:31AM
The 24V 5A supplies are a good price, so I suggest one of those. It will give you enough extra power for dual extrusion if you choose that route in future.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

November 20, 2015 09:53AM
OpenBuilds sells a 24V 20A supply for $50 and they have good service also.
November 20, 2015 10:00AM
You might like to consider buying a larger capacity power supply, in case you decide to fit a heatbed in the future (they're very useful). Add another 150W to the total if you do (heatbeds don't take quite that much, but it's always nice to have some reserve).
November 20, 2015 10:41AM
I have some extra parts hanging around from my CoreXY build, so I am thinking to build an extremely small Delta. I have 3 extra 300mm slides, so I am thinking a Delta aprox. 300mm high with a build area of about 100mm diameter or so. This will probably be used only with PLA without a heated bed.

It will be too small to include a normal power supply inside the main structure, so a small external power adapter is desired. I am hoping to make it very portable so a smaller weight for the power supply is an advantage. Since I already have a 70W universal power supply that can be set at 24V (actual current tested at 24.2V) I am going to use that for initial testing.

I plan to insulate the hot end VERY heavily for safety (might be demo'ed around children) so I suspect that I can use a low watt 24V heater block. Is 25W the lowest watt 24V heater????
November 20, 2015 01:18PM
patrickrio
I plan to insulate the hot end VERY heavily for safety (might be demo'ed around children) so I suspect that I can use a low watt 24V heater block. Is 25W the lowest watt 24V heater????

I believe that's the lowest readily-available 24V heater. However, you could always turn your universal PSU down to a lower voltage if you want less heater power (power varies with square of voltage). The fans will run a little slower, but that probably won't matter.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login