Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Large bed; finding it hard to find one!

Posted by pugzor 
Large bed; finding it hard to find one!
December 04, 2015 05:25PM
Hey all,

For anyone who follows my sporadic posts, you'd know that I'm building a large CoreXY. I seem to have a solution for most of the problems except one... I can't find a suitable bed.

It's been suggested that I use 'tooling plate' but no where in my city seems to sell it. Furthermore I'm not having much luck finding someone who's just machine standard aluminium plate to be flat within a reasonable tolerance.

What other solutions are out there?

FYI, the build area is approx 500mm x 500mm.
Re: Large bed; finding it hard to find one!
December 04, 2015 06:51PM
Ebay is full of cast tooling plate sellers.

There are plenty of on line metals shops that sell the stuff, too. Check Speedy Metals.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
December 04, 2015 07:07PM
the_digital_dentist
Ebay is full of cast tooling plate sellers.

There are plenty of on line metals shops that sell the stuff, too. Check Speedy Metals.

Not in Australia. sad smiley

[www.ebay.com.au]
December 04, 2015 10:06PM
Use wooden base, something like 16mm thick ought to do it, whatever heating element you choose, and glass on top of it. Ikea sells cheap mirrors you could cut down in size winking smiley
If using aluminium heatbed @ 4mm, you got a total material thickness of 30mm then, should remain very flat smiling smiley
December 05, 2015 02:20AM
Do a search for 'cast aluminum tooling plate'. Mic 6 is Alcoa's brand name and doesn't seem to be easy to find in Australia.

Here's one in Australia: [www.calm-aluminium.com.au]
December 05, 2015 02:28AM
etfrench
Do a search for 'cast aluminum tooling plate'. Mic 6 is Alcoa's brand name and doesn't seem to be easy to find in Australia.

Here's one in Australia: [www.calm-aluminium.com.au]

Thanks for the link but they don't do small hobby stuff (they're trade only). Really annoying to say the least.
December 05, 2015 07:44PM
I'm getting mine shipped from a UK seller to Ireland. I can't find anyone here for that either. Just have to buy it from another country.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login