Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Big Fat Upload Button

Posted by tman 
Big Fat Upload Button
September 13, 2010 03:58PM
I have no idea where to put this, so I'll just post it here.

I've made an upload button as described on [www.reprap.org]
It lacks some of the functionality, and uses a few hacks because mediawiki really has bad documentation of their code. Lots of great documentation for users, but really poor comments in the code for developers.
This extension can not render .dfx files, as required and it can not inlay the images in a page. The upload-form is just the default upload form, and has no extra fields.

So what can it do then? It accepts a zip-file. In the zip you can put .stl files and optionally also .png files. If the name of the .png is the same as the .stl, it will recognize it as a render of the .stl. If there is no render found, it will render it for you. After this is done, it gives a link to the list of uploaded files, where you can find all the new files.
There is a demo of it on my pc at home. You can reach it on [tman.webhop.net] (that is if I remember to leave it on)

I'll upload the source code after I finished adding a little documentation. That way others can improve it and maybe add the functions I wasn't able to add.

Could this be useful for the reprap wiki? I'd like to do something useful for the project, and this seemed the best way to make myself useful.

Edit: seems there is a problem connecting to my server, I'll try to find the problem. Probably my router again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2010 05:19PM by tman.

my blog: [reprap.tman.be]
Re: Big Fat Upload Button
September 13, 2010 07:18PM
Nice work, I love it! That would definitively make uploading stl files simple, and more so if you have several files!

Just tried it out, and it doesn't seem to read the files if it's inside a folder in the zip file, but otherwise it seems to work fine.

What do you think about it also automatically uploading other filetypes in the zip? For example the source files like .scad .wings .svg and so on. I'm not thinking about rendering previews for them, but rather to make it possible to zip up all the files attached to an object, and then upload it all in a simple way? That might be away from your intentional purpose though, or it might already be possible in mediawiki?

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
September 14, 2010 02:09AM
It's easy to add the functionality of uploading other filetypes that are inside the zip. I would need a list of allowed filetypes, and the script could then search for those files in the zip too. It was just not described as required, so I didn't bother adding them.

It doesn't read folders in the zip at this moment, but that functionality could be added if it is required. The question is then, how deep would it have to scan? Would folders inside folders also have to be searched,... I think the easiest way to solve the problem is just tell the users to not use folders.

I also noticed that there is a bug in the script that makes it keep some leftover folders in the unzip-folder. Files are being deleted correctly. I'll try to solve that too.

September 14, 2010 02:17AM
What tool are you using to create the images from the stls?

--
Tony Buser http://tonybuser.com * http://reprap.org/wiki/User:Tbuser#Projects
September 14, 2010 02:23AM
I'm using stl2pov and povray. You can read more about how I made it here: [tman-reprap.blogspot.com]

September 14, 2010 03:32AM
TMan, Nudel,

You probably will want to talk to Buzz in reprap-dev about it. smiling bouncing smiley

However, Bryan Bishop, aka, Kanzure, has been working on a fairly sophisticated project which he'll be demoing to reprap-dev soon, which may been an upgrade from the mediawiki. Post demo, we'll have a better sense of what we'll be doing regarding the mediawiki, so it may make sense to put this on the back burner until we know what Bryan's stuff is like.

reprap-dev and the rest of us haven't seen his presentation, so I don't know what we're doing next. I do know I'm very happy we'll have an upload button soon; don't know if it will be you or him. smiling bouncing smiley

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
September 14, 2010 05:23AM
> I do know I'm very happy we'll have an
> upload button soon; don't know if it will be you
> or him. smiling bouncing smiley

Well, the button is here already, so to speak. winking smiley

[www.reprap.org]

Just a small POV-Ray script which started out nicely parametric but descended into a little mess of manual tweaking, like usual with me. It's just a proposal, so please add your thoughts. Will clean up and post file if anyone is interested.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
September 14, 2010 08:06AM
The source code can now be found on [www.reprap.org]

@Sebastien: I now recieve mails from the reprap-dev mailing list. But haven't worked with mailinglists before. How do I create a new topic in there, or better: is there an easyer way to communicate without the mailing list?

September 14, 2010 12:52PM
@Sebastien: I now recieve mails from the reprap-dev mailing list. But haven't worked with mailinglists before. How do I create a new topic in there, or better: is there an easyer way to communicate without the mailing list?

It is like normal email. Topic = "upload button".

Is there an easyer way to communicate without the mailing list
Mediawiki!

You may want to lay off until we see bryan's presentation.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
September 14, 2010 01:28PM
Okay, I'll wait for his presentation winking smiley

September 14, 2010 04:18PM
Thanks TMan. I figure, either way, the reprap community wins. smiling bouncing smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login