Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Good beginner printer?

Posted by JA101 
Good beginner printer?
December 19, 2015 08:06AM
Hello everyone,
I am new, so I don't know if this is in the right section or not.. Sorry if it is.

Anyways, I am thinking about getting a 3d printer. I really don't care THAT much about quality of the print. Id like to get a printer around the $300 range, that can take generic filament. I don't care about speed of printing, or if it has an LCD, etc. I don't care if its a kit or not. I would want a print area of around 20 cm or more, 30 cm would be ideal, but I don't think I am getting a good printer for around $300.

I found this printer on eBay, its a Prusa I3. Any of you have experiences with these types of printers?

[www.ebay.com]
Re: Good beginner printer?
December 19, 2015 11:56AM
It looks okay. I'd go for an i3 as my first printer as they're the most commonly available. But some kits are easy to build and work, some not so much.
December 19, 2015 12:22PM
Im willing to spend up to around $400. Ive been reading reviews about the one posting, and Im pretty sure its from China, which I would rather have a printer from the US. Anyone have recommendations?
Thanks for your reply DJDemon!
December 19, 2015 12:52PM
I started with a Prusa i3 - I learned a lot, including how to improve it. Its big advantage is that you will soon be able to print something, especially when using PLA as you don't need the complexity of a heated bed. Adding a heated bed will make it possible for you to print with ABS, and will also make PLA a little easier.

Personally I would avoid the i3 made from plywood - you'd be better off with those made from aluminium or steel (more stable).

Later on you can add bits and pieces to make it better, or replace parts that aren't doing what you want - by that time you will have enough knowledge to make decisions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2015 01:40PM by David J.
December 19, 2015 04:51PM
Thanks, thats the kind of reply I was looking for. Can you recommend to me any printers that are Prusa I3s that are good? There are so many variations...
December 19, 2015 05:02PM
I keep finding these CTC printers. They seem like a pretty good deal, a heated bed, fans, and it even comes with a kg of filament... About $400. Anyone here have one of these?
[www.ebay.com]
December 19, 2015 06:57PM
If you look over in the "Prusa i3 and variants" topic, you'll find a thread on the FolgerTech 2020. The advantage of this kit is that it has a fairly broad support group on this forum, which will help if you get stuck. It's also < $300, and a US seller. I purchased that kit and have no regrets.
December 19, 2015 08:28PM
Whats the difference between the delta style printers and the purse style? The delta style on their website looks neat, $100 more though than the other two. Is there any crazy big difference you know of?
December 19, 2015 09:17PM
If you are wanting a US made printer, check out the Printrbot Play.
December 19, 2015 09:38PM
I saw the Printrbot, but I am looking for a bigger area, and something a little less than how much it is. And I don't think the Printrbot has a heated bed.
December 19, 2015 09:49PM
JA101
I saw the Printrbot, but I am looking for a bigger area, and something a little less than how much it is. And I don't think the Printrbot has a heated bed.

It does have a heated bed option. The Simple has a larger print area, but more expensive. It also has a heated bed option and other mods are available to enlarge the printing area. But if like you said, you "would rather have a printer from the US", you are going to pay more than you would for some of the Chinese kits. And also much better support.
December 19, 2015 09:55PM
I have also heard good things about this printer...

[www.walmart.com]

8" x 8" x 7" (200mm x 200mm) and it has a heated bed. $371. Price has gone up some since earlier this week when it was $349
December 20, 2015 06:41AM
JA101
Whats the difference between the delta style printers and the purse style? The delta style on their website looks neat, $100 more though than the other two. Is there any crazy big difference you know of?

Delta printers are fascinating to watch as they work, and can be fast, but the way they work can be hard for a beginner to comprehend. The Prusa (or any other cartesian printer) is reasonably easy to understand - there's one motor driving the carriage left and right, another for backwards and forwards, and two working together for up and down. Each of them has an easy drive mechanism that anyone with reasonable mechanical skills can understand, and if there's a problem it's easy to narrow it down and find a solution.

Contrast that with a delta - any movement in any direction involves 3 motors working together in a complex geometry, and this can make it difficult to solve problems. The same can be said for CoreXY printers - the Z axis is simple, but X and Y rely on 2 motors working together in harmony - easier than the delta, but still not as easy as a cartesian like the Prusa.

I'm not saying that a delta or CoreXY can't be built as a first printer - many people have - but lack of experience can make problem solving tough.

Oh - and another thing - A simple printer like the Prusa can run with a cheap Arduino/RAMPS controller reasonably well, but a delta usually needs something better (and more expensive!).
December 20, 2015 07:53AM
Now I am stuck between the monoprice and folgertech prussic...
the monoprice has tech support, a free sample of filament, and is steel...
The folger tech is cheaper, really no support, and aluminum...

Do any of you have a monoprice?

Once again, thank you for all of your replies, its helping me a lot!!
December 20, 2015 08:53AM
One thing in favour of the steel Prusa designs is that they seem to be very rigid - but I have no direct experience.

Don't forget that whatever you pick, can be used to make something better later on!
December 20, 2015 09:39AM
David, thats why I like the Prusa (And Im sure everyone else does too!) because you can upgrade them.
December 20, 2015 07:02PM
Im going to go with the Maker Select (Rebranded Wanhao Duplicator I3). Its got great reviews, steel frame, and looks cool. Only $349 on sale! If it goes back up in a few days when the sale ends, to $399, Ill buy it off the Wanhao website though. Thanks again everyone for your help!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login