Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

X axis position on Ramps 1.4 not working no matter what drivers I use

Posted by dennehg 
X axis position on Ramps 1.4 not working no matter what drivers I use
December 20, 2015 07:11PM
hey guys so ive recently started trying to build a 3D printer using an induino mega board and ramps 1.4 board too. When i plug the nema 17 motor into the y,z and extruder positions on the boards with all the different drivers in each position it always turns slowly. BUT when i plug it into the x axis position with any variation of drivers it never moves or even makes a noise. Wondering what the problem might be! also all my drivers are pointing in the right position. Thanks!!
Re: X axis position on Ramps 1.4 not working no matter what drivers I use
December 20, 2015 09:31PM
bad connection between ramps and mega?, or bad mega..

I would remove the ramps and inspect (with magnifying glass) all the solder joints on the X pololu socket and the board interconnects (where it plugs into the mega) Any that look dodgy touch up. also look for solder bridges that shouldn't be there.

It could also be that the boards just aren't presses together hard enough

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2015 09:37PM by Dust.
December 20, 2015 10:01PM
I agree with the above.

Is the "slow turning" what you expect? Or do you expect it to turn faster?

Also try plugging one of the other motors into the X connector on the board and see if that works.
December 23, 2015 01:53PM
A good first guess is generally wiring. The cable on the motor or the connector might be assembled poorly with high resistance connections or intermittent open. One way to test is to check the resistance on each loop of the motor. If they are too high or too different then you likely have some bad wiring.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login