Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cant get my Nozzle to heat up

Posted by JakobSachs 
Cant get my Nozzle to heat up
December 21, 2015 06:18AM
Im building the Edge 3D v1.0(http://www.instructables.com/id/Edge-3D-Printer-an-affordable-open-source-3D-print/) and got all the parts gathered.
I tried every single piece and at first i got my nozzle to heat up once. But now it wont.
It doesnt show any errors, i connected it over USB and looked at the serial monitor. But here too, it doesnt give me any errors.
I got a LCD for controlling the printer.

Please Help me, i already looked at all the source code.

JakobSachs
Re: Cant get my Nozzle to heat up
December 21, 2015 11:59AM
Do you have a thermistor connected to the controller? Is the thermistor OK?
Is the heat element OK? Can you read a resistance with a multimeter?
-Olaf
December 22, 2015 05:01AM
Yes the thermistor works and gives me correct temperatures.
Which resistance do you mean, thermistor or hot end ?
December 22, 2015 05:39AM
resistance of the hot end heater element, ie has it blown
December 22, 2015 08:43AM
OK i messured both resistance and got a value out of it.
So what could it be ?
December 22, 2015 10:48AM
Dodgy hot end connector at the electronics end perhaps? Also check for cracked wires by wiggling.
What value did you get for hot end resistance? it should be low, under 10 ohms I'd imagine. If your meter is auto-ranging the it might have jumped up to the mega ohms range without you noticing and you were, in fact, measuring your skin resistance.

Cheers,
Robin.
December 22, 2015 11:15AM
I soldered the cabel ends so they dont shortcut eachother. They are both cliped into a screw terminal, which seems pretty solid. For my Hot-End i measured round aabout 60 Ohms.
The cabels are wrapped with plastic fabric and are quite resistant to bending,
December 22, 2015 02:08PM
A little update, i got it to heat up by connnecting the heat end to heat 2. But it doesnt stop at maxtemp(275) and goes up to 300, where i disconnected the power.
Any idea what could cause that?(I got my Motherboard set to EFF(Extruder,fan,fan) because i got no heat bed and only one extruder)
December 23, 2015 03:45AM
So probably "Heat 2" is being used as a fan, and is on all the time?

Maybe configure the board as EEF, and just use Extruder 2?

The fact that it *does* heat up means that the hardware back as far as the board is good. The problem then is either in the software or the RAMPS board. Check that you're getting 12V across the heater output pins on the board. If not, trace back to find whether the ATMEGA2560 pin is switching or not.
December 26, 2015 05:21AM
If i measure the Voltage that gets out of the assigned pins, im not getting 12 volts. Do i need to have the Hot end pluged in too or not? Also what do you mean with :" ... the ATMEGA2560 pin ..." , which pin it that? I googled it and dindt get a result.
December 26, 2015 03:04PM
No, you don't need the hotend plugged in. But NB: By default, Marlin won't turn on a heater output if it doesn't find a corresponding thermistor connected.

You can find the RAMPS schematic at . The "Heaters & Fans" & "Power" sections on the left is what you want.

If you're not getting 12V out, what are you getting? Is there 12V on the supply rails of the RAMPS? NB: there are 2 different 12V supply rails (+12V & +12V2)... one of these supplies one output, the other supplies the other 2, Do LED2, LED3, or LED4 light up when you turn on the output.?

Only relevant once you've verified that you've got good 12V supplies and it's still not working... From the schematic you can see that the pins on the Arduino board for the heater & fan outputs are D8, D9, D10. It's probably easier to access these at R13, R14, R15 on the RAMPS. These should be 0V or 5V.
January 09, 2016 10:37AM
I dont know why or how, but it works. I was on vacation had no chance to build on it. So as i tried it today it suddenly worked, with the same firmware and the same hardware config as before.
A huge thanks to you all, how helped.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login