Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

2004 LCD display controller problem

Posted by PinGish 
2004 LCD display controller problem
December 24, 2015 02:30AM
i am unable to get my printer to work with my 2004 LCD display controller.

i know the board it's self if in working condition. but i have no idea why i can't get it to work with the printer.

Printer: Folger Tech Kossel 2020 Delta

any help would be great.
Re: 2004 LCD display controller problem
December 29, 2015 12:53PM
You need to give more information if you want someone to be able to help. My initial questions would be: What electronics are you using? What are the symptoms? What firmware is on the electronics? Have you compiled LCD support into the firmware? Did you buy the controller separately or did it come with the kit? What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far and what are the results?

Hope that helps.
December 29, 2015 04:07PM
here is a list of the parts i am using

arduino mega 2560
ramps 1.4
RepRapDiscount Smart Controller

the firmware i am using is what folgertech supplied.

firmware: [drive.google.com]

The controller was bought separate from the printer.

when i have the screen pluged in it turns on and i see two rows of sqrs nothing else.(the printer also comes up in the software saying that "echo: SD init fail")

i have tried re compiling the firmware many times, i have even taken a fresh copy of the firmware from the above link and tried to flash it with that. and it still will not work.

i have switched the screen with another that i know works on my 2nd printer and still nothing.

example of what i have uncommented:
//LCD and SD support
#define ULTRA_LCD  //general lcd support, also 16x2
//#define DOGLCD  // Support for SPI LCD 128x64 (Controller ST7565R graphic Display Family)
#define SDSUPPORT // Enable SD Card Support in Hardware Console
//#define SDSLOW // Use slower SD transfer mode (not normally needed - uncomment if you're getting volume init error)

//#define ULTIMAKERCONTROLLER //as available from the ultimaker online store.
//#define ULTIPANEL  //the ultipanel as on thingiverse

// The MaKr3d Makr-Panel with graphic controller and SD support
// [reprap.org]
//#define MAKRPANEL

// The RepRapDiscount Smart Controller (white PCB )
// [reprap.org]
#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER

// The GADGETS3D G3D LCD/SD Controller (blue PCB )
// [reprap.org]
//#define G3D_PANEL

// The RepRapDiscount FULL GRAPHIC Smart Controller (quadratic white PCB )
// [reprap.org]
//
// ==> REMEMBER TO INSTALL U8glib to your ARDUINO library folder: [code.google.com]
//#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER

// The RepRapWorld REPRAPWORLD_KEYPAD v1.1
// [reprapworld.com]
//#define REPRAPWORLD_KEYPAD
//#define REPRAPWORLD_KEYPAD_MOVE_STEP 10.0 // how much should be moved when a key is pressed, eg 10.0 means 10mm per click

// The Elefu RA Board Control Panel
// [www.elefu.com]
// REMEMBER TO INSTALL LiquidCrystal_I2C.h in your ARUDINO library folder: [github.com]
//#define RA_CONTROL_PANEL

December 30, 2015 05:43PM
Next thing I would check is the pin assignment in the firmware. Looks like the controller support line you uncommented is for a fairly generic LCD so it may or may not exactly match the pinout you have on yours. Check which pins are assigned to which functions and make sure they are assigned to the appropriate pin on the controller. Also it sounds like you have a pretty good handle on the basics and are fortunate enough to have a second machine. Your known working LCD also doesn't work on the new board, does the new LCD work on the known working printer board?
December 31, 2015 06:43AM
i have tested both of the LCD boards on both printers and they both work on my 2nd printer.

i will take a look at the pins.

Thank you for all of the help so far.
January 04, 2016 08:03PM
ok so i did some testing and the pins are just fine. i took the firmware from my 2nd printer and flashed it onto this one and the lcd works ... but it is no were near the same printer .. the 2nd one is a Tinyboy from hobbyking. the one that is having issues is a Folger Tech Kossel Rev B.

the tiny boy looks to be running a newer version of marlin than my kossel.

any ideas on what i should do ? i am still pretty new to doing anything firmware wise . but i am great at copy paste tongue sticking out smiley

thanks again for any/all help
June 30, 2016 11:39PM
PinGish,

Did you ever find a fix for this. I'm having the same issue. Or did anyone else figure out how to fix this?

Thanks!
July 01, 2016 12:05AM
Tried many SD cards 512M, 4/8/16/32GB. The 16GB did not work at first. Once I tried an 8GB, most of the rest of the SD cards worked.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login