Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

can't access the configuration.h tab

Posted by jkelso 
can't access the configuration.h tab
September 19, 2010 10:38PM
Do I need the tab or am I supposed to open this file in some other program to edit it?
I got to the step where I'm supposed to open the fived_gcode_interpreter file in the arduino software but it says in the wiki that I'm supposed to see a tab called configuration.h there is no tab for this nor is there one for the original file before I copied it. I tried opening the file with notepad but it's very dense with code and hard to read this way. Is there something I'm missing or not seeing here? I may try uploading this as is and see what happens, it beats sitting there wondering about it.
Re: can't access the configuration.h tab
September 19, 2010 11:27PM
Ah, yuck, notepad. smiling smiley Notepad isn't showing the end of line characters.

Probably what happened there is there is a configuration.h.dist, which is the generic file. You have to rename it to configuration.h; the .dist is to keep it from over-writing your personal configuration when you upgrade to a newer version of the firmware.
September 20, 2010 06:17AM
Install something like ConText or any decent text editor and it will be able to work with linux style plain text, which uses a different character to indicate newlines.

While your at it, disabled the 'hide extensions for known file types' feature in windows, it can make things really confusing.
September 20, 2010 07:25AM
Presumably all you need to do to get it appear on a tab in the Arduino ide is to open it in the file open menu. You shouldn't need an external editor.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
September 20, 2010 09:00AM
it should be a tab further to the right, out of window. make the window larger or click on the arrow on the topright.
September 20, 2010 09:39AM
I tried extending the window to the right all the way by turning my screen resolution super high. It wouldn't let me drag the window open more any other way. Problem is, there is no configuration.h.dist tab nor is there a configuration.h tab.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2010 09:42AM by jkelso.
September 20, 2010 10:04AM
try putting the firmware in your arduino folder amongst the other examples, then opening it through file -> examples instead of file -> open
September 20, 2010 10:04AM
When I try to verify this file I get this message:

September 20, 2010 10:21AM
I put the folder in the arduino examples folder and nothing changed

September 20, 2010 10:33AM
Look in the directory (folder) and see if a "configuration.h" file exists. If it does not then close the Arduino software, COPY configuration.h.dist to configuration.h and then double click on the FiveD_GCode_Interpreter file to restart the Arduino software for the project.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
September 20, 2010 10:38AM
That didn't change anything
September 20, 2010 10:49AM
Thank you Andrew Smith. I disabled the hide known file extensions and could then see that the configuration.h file was renamed to configuration.h.h so I deleted the last .h and now I can see the tab. Right when I was starting to get grouchy again.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2010 11:14AM by jkelso.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login