Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Duel extruder owners??

Posted by fatesalign 
Duel extruder owners??
January 04, 2016 10:56PM
Hello, I'm really contemplating making my next printer a Duel extruder. I absolutely DESPISE dealing with support material. I understand that there's a better software for $150 that's supposedly a lot easier to pull off, but I would really like to hear from duel extruder owners. Do you love it? Would you ever go back? If so, why?

To me, the idea of using a second extruder to make the support material just as nice and thick, yet it simply dissolves, sounds like heaven. There's always this battle between the support material being so easy to remove that it comes off during a print and it being so firm that it's nearly impossible to remove without sanding it down (which is not even worth it with some of the intricate pieces I print). Any answers would be great. Thank you.
Re: Duel extruder owners??
January 05, 2016 08:21AM
I've been wondering the same thing, but the price of limonene puts me off. I haven't seen any indication of how much HIPS you can dissolve in a given amount of limonene either - how do you know when you need to throw it out?

On the other hand, I can't wait to go dual extruder so that I can try combining different filaments in a single print. Flex + abs for tool handles? ABS + nylon for strength and light weight? Sounds like way too much fun smiling smiley
Re: Duel extruder owners??
January 05, 2016 12:50PM
Hello. I hooked up a second extruder for a couple of reasons. One was that single color prints are so mundane and the other reason was to print support material. I'm very happy with adding a little extra color to the prints but I have had no luck with the PVA support filament. I believe this is due to the Bowden setup. Pushing PVA is like pushing a rubber band. It doesn't retract it just stretches and all of the filament oozes out of the nozzle and wrecks the print. I think PVA would be better served with a direct geared filament pusher to work correctly.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login