Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tring to find a solution to a message

Posted by viper412 
Tring to find a solution to a message
January 05, 2016 03:12PM
I get the error "Serial Port 'COM3' already in use. Try quitting any programs that may be using it." I've done everything I could think of, I checked the port and Repetier Host finds the board and connects, however the Repetier slicer does not find the port. Also when I try and use the Arduino IDE to flash the firmware to the Melzi 2.0 control board This happens even on a fresh restart any ideas????.
Re: Tring to find a solution to a message
January 05, 2016 06:19PM
The slicer should not need to connect to the board. If Repetier host is connecting then you should be good to go. You can't use Repetier and Arduino at the same time. So if you are going to reflash the board you need to close Repetier host. Sometimes the com port will not get released cleanly when a program shuts down. The best thing for that is to just restart the computer.
January 05, 2016 06:49PM
Thanks my friend! That's good news but even after a fresh start up I get that same message.
The main problem is that I picked up this new board (a Melzi 2.0) and I need to install the firmware,
I verified the code and it checks out with Arduio IDE now when I hit the upload and I get that message I can't
figure this one out I feel like I'm going in circles. Thanks again!
January 06, 2016 07:28AM
viper412
I get the error "Serial Port 'COM3' already in use. Try quitting any programs that may be using it." I've done everything I could think of, I checked the port and Repetier Host finds the board and connects, however the Repetier slicer does not find the port. Also when I try and use the Arduino IDE to flash the firmware to the Melzi 2.0 control board This happens even on a fresh restart any ideas????.

When using Windows anytime you connect/reconnect printers the OS creates a serial port for it. To fix this is easy. Simply go into the control panel and select Device manager (WIN 10 is under System and the top left of the dialog box is the Device manager link). Either way get into the Device Manager and click on ports. At the top of the menu select view and then show hidden devices. (You'll probably see a lot then.) Simply delete those not in use (they will be recreated upon reboot if you have a device attached). Once done you can reboot if you're up to it and this should solve you're problem. I know, I've been there and done that.
January 07, 2016 03:46PM
Thank You I'll give it a try, hope it works!!!smileys with beer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login