Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I got my first filament order, how disappointed should I be?

Posted by pica 
I got my first filament order, how disappointed should I be?
September 22, 2010 06:43PM
Aside from the UPS delivery mess-up (not the sellers fault), my invoice (copy in the box) clearly says 5 lb of white ABS. The box had 6.128 lbs of mostly black filament (one coil of white). So I've gotten an extra 22.5%.

What do you all think? How much of a pain is it to have to swap rolls mid-print? What do you think about the substitution without even a courtesy email?

--
My blog's Reprap feed: [blog.markbova.com]
I'm currently working on a stock Mendel build with a Seeeduino Mega and four Pololu A4983 stepper controllers.
Re: I got my first filament order, how disappointed should I be?
September 22, 2010 06:49PM
Does not matter, you did not get what you ordered?

Complain, they should correct it.

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
September 24, 2010 05:41AM
Hey Pica

Could you name and shame?
September 24, 2010 05:45AM
Could you name and shame?

Agreed. I think the rest of the community will want to know if one supplier is shipping an extra 22.5% in their orders. smiling bouncing smiley

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
September 24, 2010 08:00AM
SebastienBailard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Could you name and shame?
>
> Agreed. I think the rest of the community will
> want to know if one supplier is shipping an extra
> 22.5% in their orders. smiling bouncing smiley

I know you're having a laugh, but initially when I read the post, I couldn't see the problem. Then I re-read it more carefully and realised that the issue was the substitution of black instead of white filament.

Personally as I have not yet started printing anything it would be fine for me, but I can see the point of the OP expecting at least a courtesy email. I agree that it is wrong. A quick email to ask if it's ok to substitute and saying they'll add 20% volume to the order to compensate would have been a good idea.

Last week I bought a power cut off saw to help cut my rod, etc and the one that arrived was shop soiled. It was advertised as new with multiple items available so I objected. The saw works fine and I would normally be quite happy to accept a shop soiled item, but would like to know in advance (and would normally expect an appropriate price).

Craig

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[blogger.kritzinger.net]
September 24, 2010 10:40AM
> > Could you name and shame?

Uh yea, I did a blog post on it. I might as well point you there for the whole story. I figure it's okay for me to drop my opinion of the service without actually discussing my complaint with the company first, since they decided to ship a substitute to me without discussing it first.

> > Agreed. I think the rest of the community will
> > want to know if one supplier is shipping an
> extra
> > 22.5% in their orders. smiling bouncing smiley

Yeh, that's pretty much why I'm not up in arms.

> Personally as I have not yet started printing
> anything it would be fine for me, but I can see
> the point of the OP expecting at least a courtesy
> email. I agree that it is wrong. A quick email
> to ask if it's ok to substitute and saying they'll
> add 20% volume to the order to compensate would
> have been a good idea.

Yea, that's pretty much exactly how I feel. I want to start printing soon too, and I'd like to make a few custom mounts for electronics in my car. I just thought white would work better if I park the car in the sun.

In the company's defense, they did promptly reply when UPS mis-delivered the package. They do say on their site that you won't get one solid piece, the price+shipping was really outstanding, and they did throw in quite a bit extra ABS.

--
My blog's Reprap feed: [blog.markbova.com]
I'm currently working on a stock Mendel build with a Seeeduino Mega and four Pololu A4983 stepper controllers.
September 25, 2010 12:30AM
> > Agreed. I think the rest of the community will
> > want to know if one supplier is shipping an
> extra
> > 22.5% in their orders. smiling bouncing smiley

Yeh, that's pretty much why I'm not up in arms.

Still, if you pursue this matter, let us know how they resolve it.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login