Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hotend carriage breakout board

Posted by gmh39 
Hotend carriage breakout board
January 10, 2016 08:31AM
Does anyone use a breakout board for their hotend carriage? I'm thinking it will make wiring and interchanging hotend easier, but not sure which connectors and wire will be sufficient.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
Re: Hotend carriage breakout board
January 10, 2016 09:29AM
gmh39
Does anyone use a breakout board for their hotend carriage? I'm thinking it will make wiring and interchanging hotend easier, but not sure which connectors and wire will be sufficient.

I make a combined Z probe, fan control and breakout board for the Ormerod printer, see [miscsolutions.wordpress.com].

Think3DPrint3D uses a breakout board in their Mini Kossel R3 kit, see [docs.google.com].

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 10, 2016 09:36AM
Hmm. ok. I just ordered your sensor board through Filastruder the other day, so the combined board is a little to much for me. I think I may just make my own basic breakout board so I can control the size. It looks like both you and T3P3 use pretty standard connectors, correct? Have you ever run into any problems with the current in the heater wires melting the connectors?

Maybe it's just me, but this has happened to me on a few occasions (so I'm probably doing something wrong...).

greghoge.com

January 10, 2016 09:47AM
gmh39
Hmm. ok. I just ordered your sensor board through Filastruder the other day, so the combined board is a little to much for me. I think I may just make my own basic breakout board so I can control the size. It looks like both you and T3P3 use pretty standard connectors, correct? Have you ever run into any problems with the current in the heater wires melting the connectors?

Maybe it's just me, but this has happened to me on a few occasions (so I'm probably doing something wrong...).

On my Ormerod breakout board I use genuine Molex KK connectors, which are rated at 4A per contact (see [www.farnell.com]). The Ormerod wiring loom from the electronics to the hot end doubles up the heater wires, so for that connector I use 4 pins for the heater and the current is therefore shared between 2 pins. However, I use a single 2-pin connector to connect the cartridge heater, so each pin takes the whole current. A 12V 40W heater should draw 3.33A, so within the rating. I have shipped over 150 boards, and only had one report of a burnt connector.

In my experience, burnt connectors are usually caused by a bad contact in the vicinity, e.g. a loose screw in a terminal block or a bad crimp connection.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2016 09:49AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 10, 2016 10:30AM
dc42
gmh39

On my Ormerod breakout board I use genuine Molex KK connectors, which are rated at 4A per contact (see [www.farnell.com]). The Ormerod wiring loom from the electronics to the hot end doubles up the heater wires, so for that connector I use 4 pins for the heater and the current is therefore shared between 2 pins. However, I use a single 2-pin connector to connect the cartridge heater, so each pin takes the whole current. A 12V 40W heater should draw 3.33A, so within the rating. I have shipped over 150 boards, and only had one report of a burnt connector.

In my experience, burnt connectors are usually caused by a bad contact in the vicinity, e.g. a loose screw in a terminal block or a bad crimp connection.

Then I'll just use those connectors.

As for my current burnt connectors, that makes sense. I have them crimped, but sometimes the connection can be a bit shoddy...

greghoge.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login