Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Makerbot Thing-o-matic model

Posted by jkelso 
New Makerbot Thing-o-matic model
September 25, 2010 05:33PM
This looks interesting. Still can't find the spec on the build size but it's up for sale on the website. Anyone know the spec on it? [store.makerbot.com]
Re: New Makerbot Thing-o-matic model
September 25, 2010 05:44PM
It's no accident that the image has a rabbit on the platform, considering how they multiply. From the look of it, the building platform is a kind of conveyor that unloads and self cleans for consecutive print jobs. Very cool. I guess you keep a basket in front of it to receive all the parts that it prints.

The site seems to be very weak on actual specs. We need more than 1 picture too. :-)
September 25, 2010 06:19PM
it looks like it combines a standard makerbot with a MakerBot Automated Build Platform.

[www.youtube.com]

--
My blog's Reprap feed: [blog.markbova.com]
I'm currently working on a stock Mendel build with a Seeeduino Mega and four Pololu A4983 stepper controllers.
September 25, 2010 08:06PM
The press release says that the build area is larger than a regular makerbot but doesn't get into the details from what I read. Maybe the white rabbit is a Matrix reference.
September 25, 2010 09:05PM
I like the direction it's heading but I wouldn't want to replace a heated bed with a conveyor, from what I can tell the conveyor belt doesn't have a heated bed.

The rest of the improvements sound great. I'm curious to know the objective print quality between it and a Mendel.
September 25, 2010 09:12PM
Anthong Redbeard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like the direction it's heading but I wouldn't
> want to replace a heated bed with a conveyor, from
> what I can tell the conveyor belt doesn't have a
> heated bed.
>
> The rest of the improvements sound great. I'm
> curious to know the objective print quality
> between it and a Mendel.

If the automated build platform included is the same as the separate automated build platform they sell, then it is heated.
September 26, 2010 09:18PM
oh, I guess the Mendel community has some catching up to do then, I think the only thing the Mendel has this new printer does not is the print bed size.
September 26, 2010 10:04PM
>oh, I guess the Mendel community has some catching up to do then...

Except the build platform is open-hardware, so we have that too (and they have reprap, of course).

It's true that I haven't seen one attached to a Mendel yet...

Yea, bigger platform, automated heated bed, looks like a simple more stable platform, easier to make (maybe) and the price went up for the complete kit. (Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's still a fair price for a quality turn-key kit, I have to admire the dedication to open-hardware, and they just gave away all their trade secrets to anyone who wants to look. That's just awesome!)

--
My blog's Reprap feed: [blog.markbova.com]
I'm currently working on a stock Mendel build with a Seeeduino Mega and four Pololu A4983 stepper controllers.
September 26, 2010 10:26PM
Actually cool smiley

[www.thingiverse.com]

and there is already a printed version:

[www.thingiverse.com]

I am actually nose deep in a printable PCB mill, so hopefully someone else swipes this for RepRap.

"No Swiping Swiper!"

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
September 27, 2010 09:57AM
Photos of the Thing-o-Matic start here: [www.flickr.com]

(there's a few in the set)

All of the specs are up in the makerbot store as well.
September 27, 2010 11:11AM
Cool pics. I'm still not seeing those specs..
September 27, 2010 11:24AM
jkelso Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cool pics. I'm still not seeing those specs..

[store.makerbot.com] ?
September 27, 2010 11:36AM
The build area?
September 27, 2010 01:37PM
I watched a couple of videos online and Somebody said 10 X 10 X 12 cm. Thing-O-Matic is just an upgraded Cupcake it seems like. Its really cool to be able to print something 4" X 4", but what if you wanted something bigger? I really don't want to glue my parts together. I think the magic Size for a 3D printer is 200 X 200 X 200cm.
September 28, 2010 01:16AM
Just a point of clarification: the rabbit is the popular Stanford bunny [en.wikipedia.org] that is replacing the Utah teapot [en.wikipedia.org] as the computer graphics community test model object of choice.

Aside from that piece of trivia I have nothing to add to the discussion :-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login