Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What is the max length of stepper wires?

Posted by karabas 
What is the max length of stepper wires?
January 21, 2016 07:21AM
For big deltas it is reasonable to mount extruder closer to hotend. But what is the stepper wire max length for regular stepstick or 8825? Will it work on 1-1.5 meter wires?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2016 07:22AM by karabas.
Re: What is the max length of stepper wires?
January 21, 2016 07:41AM
2-3 or more meters shouldn't be a problem, usually i twist the wires in pairs to minimize induction if i have anything longer than half a meter or so.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
January 21, 2016 08:28AM
My printer has some cables over 2m long- no problems at all. IRIC, I used 20 gauge wires for the motor leads. Whenever you run relatively high current wires, especially motor wires where the currents are pulsing, the wires should be twisted to reduce interference to small signal wires (such as thermistor leads). Twist the thermistor lead and heater wires, too. The twisting reduces currents induced into/by adjacent wires.

You can twist wires very easily, quickly, and neatly by clamping one end in a vise and putting the other end in the chuck of an electric drill. Pull the wires taut then start running the motor.

Motors have two sets of coils. You should use a twisted pair for each set.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
January 22, 2016 03:54AM
the_digital_dentist
My printer has some cables over 2m long- no problems at all. IRIC, I used 20 gauge wires for the motor leads. Whenever you run relatively high current wires, especially motor wires where the currents are pulsing, the wires should be twisted to reduce interference to small signal wires (such as thermistor leads). Twist the thermistor lead and heater wires, too. The twisting reduces currents induced into/by adjacent wires.

You can twist wires very easily, quickly, and neatly by clamping one end in a vise and putting the other end in the chuck of an electric drill. Pull the wires taut then start running the motor.

Motors have two sets of coils. You should use a twisted pair for each set.

Sounds good! What voltage do you set on your stepsticks?
I set my ones about 0.9v for 4988 and 0.6v for drv8825 to prevent stepper(nema17) heating.
Yes I used drill for twisting pairs many years ago.
January 22, 2016 06:37AM
I have Smoothieboard driving the Z axis and extruder set to 1.5A and 0.6A, and external DSP drivers for the X and Y axis, also set to appropriate currents for the motors. X, Y, and Z are all NEMA-23 size motors.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login