Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

In need of guidance

Posted by Rimesy 
In need of guidance
January 21, 2016 07:51PM
Hi guys,

I've been reading and lurking for a while now and have decided I'd like to have ago at 3D printing. I'm a mechanical engineer by trade so the build side doesn't phase me, however I do have some questions regarding where to buy from (I'm in the UK) and which model to buy? I've read a lot about the various models. Their pros and cons etc but it seems there's a number of different vendors with various degrees of product quality. Added with the fact I'm not quite sure which model would best suit some one looking to get into 3D printing but at the same time would like some amount of future proofing.

I guess to summarise I'm asking for recommendations on which model would best suit me, and from where to purchase it? Bearing in mind I'm in the UK. I was looking at buying from RepRapPro as they seem to of had nothing but good quality products but sadly they are no more.

Regards,

Rimesy.
Re: In need of guidance
January 21, 2016 10:41PM
Mendel90 is a good Machine. MendelFlex is another good build (mine). Ultimakers are good. There are some good Delta style machines, but some say these arent a good idea for a first build.

What is your budget? Do you want a machine to tinker with, or a machine to use as a tool to make other things?
January 22, 2016 01:14AM
Take a look at the Kossel kits from Think3DPrint3D. Their kits are not cheap bit they are of high quality and we'll supported. As one of their suppliers, I can say that they are an excellent company to deal with, and I am sure they are in no imminent danger of going the same way as RepRapPro.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 23, 2016 05:33PM
The only advice I can offer is don't get acrylic frame, wood or metal is the way to go.
January 24, 2016 04:48AM
It's probably unconventional but I bought a second hand i3 about 9 months ago and learned more fixing all the problems than I think I would have done building a new kit printer. As a starting point I don't think you can beat it, it's cartesian so the kinematics are dead simple, they're cheap, and there's hundreds of mods and stls available. Definitely avoid acrylic I can't see how it can perform well as a frame compared to metal.

I'd endorse what DC42 said about the t3p3 kossel mini I have one of these and it is well made and well supported.

Just ordered and waiting on a smartrapcore alu as I want to try a corexy next.

I think it depends on whether you want to tinker with the printer itself or want to focus more on the actual objects you can print.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login