Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

serial port error

Posted by Repier37 
serial port error
January 25, 2016 05:35AM
Hi,

I have a problem with my serial port.
I have a rostock with ramps 1.4 + GEN7 extension board (rewire to the ramps) and a mega 2560 clone with the ch340 chip.
My baudrate is 115200.
I use repetier firmware and repetier host.

When I connect my desktop computer to the printer everything is fine, I can control the printer perfectly. But when I start a print, in less than a minute I have a bunch of

system.io.ports.serialport errorreceived

in repetier console, and the printer stops.
The printer can't be controlled from repetier anymore, but can be control from the LCD.
I can't reconnect to the printer without closing repetier host, resetting the printer, and pluging the rpinter on a different usb port

I have done those test :
I have tried to print directly from the SD card. The print is ok but repetier catch the same error and freeze.
I have done a print (from the sd card), and tried sending M105 command in the serial monitor of the arduino ide. The print was ok, but the printer stopped answering 1 minute after the print started.
I have tried different usb port : same issue
I have tried a baudrate of 9600 : same issue
I have tried with my laptop instead of my desktop computer. Same repetier host version, and I was able to do a 20min print directly from my laptop (no sd transfer). No problem at all.
I can make this error happen by sending a lot of manual command quickly (for example, by quickly changing the hotbed temp)
I let my printer idle (and plugged to the computer) for like an hour, and i got no problem, but as soon as i started a print, got the error again.

Other information that might be useful :
Sd tansfer works with my laptop and my desktop, but I have some "wrong checksum" error on my desktop and not with my laptop.
I thought of windows related issue, so i reinstalled windows completely on my desktop computer, but no success, same error.

I am running out of idea to figure out what is causing me this communication error. My printer is usuable as i can send gcode to the sd card, but, well, it's annoying...sad smiley

Thanks for your help smiling smiley
Re: serial port error
January 25, 2016 12:37PM
Stupid question but have you tried different cables? Have you tried heavily shielded cables? Have you tried keeping the cable away from any mains voltage wiring etc... I get a lot of "checksum error resending " etc... if my usb cables are in close proximity to power cables, even heavily shielded ones?
January 25, 2016 04:29PM
Well... No.
In fact as it's working on my laptop, qith the same cable, I have guessed that it couldn't come from the cable. However I might be wrong. What do you think ?
I don't have another cable right now, that's why I didn't test that solution.

Edit : for the usb/power proximity, I have tried my best but, on ramps, the usb cable is right under the power cables...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2016 04:55PM by Repier37.
January 26, 2016 03:37AM
No I don't mean DC power cables they produce very little EMI, I mean mains voltage power cables are to be avoided.
January 26, 2016 03:56PM
DjDemonD
No I don't mean DC power cables they produce very little EMI, I mean mains voltage power cables are to be avoided.

Good to know. smiling smiley
But the answer is no.
But I found another usb cable, not shieldied either, but shorter (1m vs 3m). and ... IT WORKED. Like a charm...

After all, that was just the thing I eliminate at first.

Anyway, thanks a lot !!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2016 09:58AM by Repier37.
January 27, 2016 09:36AM
You're welcome, common problems occur commonly.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login