Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

LED Strip to Duet

Posted by HWrp156 
LED Strip to Duet
January 29, 2016 12:59PM
I am thinking of buying a LED strip for my Ormerod 2 to indicate which temperature is being shown on the heated bed (for example 0-15 = blue, 16-30 = amber and 31+ = red) using the 4 pins from the strip and separate 12V power supply. However I am not sure if it can be done using a Duet Board version 0.8.5, can anyone help?
Re: LED Strip to Duet
January 29, 2016 01:37PM
It could be done if you connected three BJTs or mosfets + resistors to the expansion connector to switch the LEDs, but it would need some firmware changes. Alternatively, you could use an Arduino Nano or similar (+ BJTs or mosfets again to switch the 12v) to monitor the voltage across the bed thermistor independently. No need for a separate 12V supply if the supply to the printer is also 12V.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 30, 2016 01:54AM
i am thinking also a led strip ( not rgb) to my heatbed instead of just a led and a resistor. Would it be a problem for my duet and/or the heatbed ? I imagine a led strip of 3-6leds will only draw some mA.
January 30, 2016 02:24AM
The current draw of a short strip of LEDS will be small enough not to worry about, compared to the current draw of the bed heater.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

February 01, 2016 11:46PM
I have a roll of these WS2812B leds laying around, would the Duet have any issue supplying the 5V needed to power a couple of these? The 5v rail on a RAMPs board seems to work alright so I suspect the Duet can easily handle a few of these as well.

[www.amazon.com]
February 02, 2016 02:50AM
If you are using the built in switching regulator on the Duet to provide the 5V power, there is plenty of spare capacity. If you are using the separate 5V linear regulator board, be careful that you don't overheat the regulator IC.

February 08, 2016 06:25AM
When wiring to the duet, what pins should be used? I am using a 4-pin LED strip where the pins are used for red, green, blue and 12V. And will a pwm be needed to control each light?
February 12, 2016 01:56PM
HWrp156
When wiring to the duet, what pins should be used? I am using a 4-pin LED strip where the pins are used for red, green, blue and 12V. And will a pwm be needed to control each light?

PWM would be needed if you want to control more than just "on" or "off" (for example an RGB led Strip). you can use PC21 PC22 and PC23 on the expansion header, those work fine for me. I wanted to make some changes to the firmware but i just cant get this project to work. its frustrating (and I hate eclipse.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2016 02:15PM by Karatektus.
February 12, 2016 07:00PM
These are an option for switching things on/off using a digital pin. I use the PWM R/C ones on my multicopter so to switch LED strips on/off.

[www.pololu.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2016 07:02PM by WZ9V.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login