Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder error.echo:heating failed.

Posted by erkiwi 
Extruder error.echo:heating failed.
February 02, 2016 05:22PM
I have just finished a 3d printer and tring to calibrate extruder.I have marlin loaded onto board and Pronterface running printer movements.When I turn on exturder using pronterface I get and error.heating failed.However the extruder will heat up from LCD control panel.The heat bed is OK and turns on using Pronterface.Is there a setting in marlin I have missed ?it seems like it could be a software problem as extruder works Ok using control panel.Any suggestions?
Re: Extruder error.echo:heating failed.
February 02, 2016 09:32PM
Basically, the board is sending current to the heater and expects to see a temperature increase. If it doesn't see enough of an increase within a certain time frame, it assumes the worst and shuts everything down.

I think these are the parameters you can play with in Configuration_adv.h:
  THERMAL_PROTECTION_PERIOD
  THERMAL_PROTECTION_HYSTERESIS
  WATCH_TEMP_PERIOD
  WATCH_TEMP_INCREASE  
February 03, 2016 12:33AM
Remember when you have your laptop hooked up to the printer, and you call for heat, you have to also have the printer turned on! Sounds simple but guess why I got that error tonight!! Duh......

Folger Tech 2020 i3 and FT-5 as well as modified JGAurora A5 with direct drive E3D/Titan. All running the BLTOUCH.
Great kits. Having fun and running the heck out of them.
Running Marlin 1.1.0 RC8 on the i3 and FT5. Custom firmware on A5.
Folger Tech Wiki board >[folgertech.wikia.com]
February 03, 2016 01:59AM
Thanks for the info .The extruder does heat up to 40cat the moment before the heating failed error. have looked into Configuration_adv.h and WATCH_TEMP_PERIOD is set at 20000 .WATCH_TEMP_INCREASE is set at 10. What should I change?
February 03, 2016 07:06AM
Sound like this should be okay the settings above mean the firmware expects to see a 10 deg C rise every 20000 seconds, if it does not it halts the printer and displays heating failed, so effectively this disables this feature. I have mine set to 60sec and 10 deg C. Something else is causing your problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2016 09:43AM by DjDemonD.
February 03, 2016 09:20AM
The only place in the firmware (current marlin 1.1.0_rc3) that I find that message is in temperature.cpp in the function manage_heater() and only in one part of that function:

#if ENABLED(THERMAL_PROTECTION_HOTENDS)

// Is it time to check this extruder's heater?
      if (watch_heater_next_ms[e] && ms > watch_heater_next_ms[e]) {
        // Has it failed to increase enough?
        if (degHotend(e) < watch_target_temp[e]) {
          // Stop!
          _temp_error(e, PSTR(MSG_T_HEATING_FAILED), PSTR(MSG_HEATING_FAILED_LCD));
        }
        else {
          // Start again if the target is still far off
          start_watching_heater(e);
        }
      }

#endif // THERMAL_PROTECTION_HOTENDS

The start_watching_heater(e) function resets watch_target_temp[e] and watch_heater_next_ms[e] to the next interval using the current time in milliseconds plus WATCH_TEMP_PERIOD and current temperature plus WATCH_TEMP_INCREASE so it's pretty straight forward: while the heater is warming up, it must see at least WATCH_TEMP_INCREASE degrees in WATCH_TEMP_PERIOD time or it shuts it all down.

I've only encountered this when my extruder is mostly warmed up from say a manual heatup, then I start a print job and it since I'm close to the setpoint already, id doesn't see WATCH_TEMP_INCREASE rise in temperature. This probably has to do with the hysteresis and residency time being a little off when your near the setpoint already.
February 05, 2016 01:26PM
Make sure your hot end is not too close to the cold end, I did this my first time, if you aren't sure how close is too close, upload a pic of your extruder

(depending on your extruder this may or may not be in your control)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2016 01:27PM by DaGameFace.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login