Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

sad smileyReprap hot bed not working and now other problems? HELP!

Posted by Reprapper13 
sad smileyReprap hot bed not working and now other problems? HELP!
February 04, 2016 12:57AM
Hey there guys, just wondering if someone could give me some insight on what's going on with my printer. Everything was running great and then yesterday the heated bed stopped working as it worked fine for five to six runs but now it will not heat up like before? I also noticed today when I was in the middle of a print from my SD card, the screen blinked and then the print head totally went off track. I stopped the print an re-homed all the axis.
Now, when I try to restart any print and I try to change the settings such as the nozzle temp or speed. I press in the button to confirm the action and my printer shuts off and then immediately kicks back on. Tried it multiple times and with a freshly formatted SD card and different jobs, but with all the same result.
So I starting taking a look at the board shown in the pictures and came to find a burnt or popped fuse of some sorts on the upper left hand side under the power cable. Could this be causing the problems I am having and how should I go about resolving this issue? Thanks in advance for the help and knowledge. Slightly new to this but have a good bit of electronic and computer knowledge.
My printer:

The Board (please inform me of the name as I'm new)

The Fuse I think that popped (please tell me where I can get some replacements and what there called)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2016 01:34AM by Reprapper13.
Re: sad smileyReprap hot bed not working and now other problems? HELP!
February 04, 2016 02:07AM
looks to be a gt2560 board...

Not sure on the fuse yet,,,
February 04, 2016 02:34AM
Attempted to ask geeetech live chat support... man that was a waste of time!!

It looks like its a 603 15 amp smd fuse... but details like a useful part number so far elude me... hopefully others will have better luck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2016 02:36AM by Dust.
February 04, 2016 07:46AM
That fuse is only for the heated bed. Mine blew too, but I don't think it was from over current. The SMD connector soldered to the board was not making good contact so the fuse got really hot and I think damaged the fuse and the holder. I ordered replacements from ebay:

[www.ebay.com]

[www.ebay.com]

While waiting on them to arrive, I soldered a 15 amp automotive type fuse to the board via a couple of short leads. I'm not by the printer or I'd snap you a picture, but the fuse worked out so well, I have yet to install the replacement socket.
February 04, 2016 08:07AM
I just had the same problem with this board. I think the fuse holders are probably not rated as high as the fuses? the fuse is 15A

The fuse was fine. Just the fuse holder caught on fire!

I just soldered the fuse to the board. Working great again now.

First problem i have had with this GT2560 board.
Its been printing non stop day and night for a month now.

BTW I print with the bed around 90degrees, it may have contributed to the load on the fuse?
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_4529.JPG (525.2 KB)
February 04, 2016 08:18AM
I thought maybe the same thing so I broke out the multimeter. My bed measures 1.31 ohms and under full load, the power supply is showing 11.72 volts. This works out to about 9 amps. That shouldn't change by much regardless of how hot the bed is (assuming the resistance doesn't change much with temperature--this is a valid assumption for the materials and temperatures we run at). When the mosfet is on, 9 amps. when off, 0 amps. If you're using a PID or duty cycle for the bed, this will average out to something less than 9 amps once the bed gets near the setpoint.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2016 08:19AM by hoxsiew.
February 04, 2016 08:35AM
Just another one of the little issues...

Maybe there is a better fuse holder available?
February 04, 2016 12:42PM
Great advise so far guys and thanks for the help. So any ideas what would be making it kick off and then right back on when I try to dial a setting in on the main screen with a SD card?
February 04, 2016 12:53PM
Perhaps the fuse holder next to it was damaged and causing intermittent failure. That fuse powers everything else but the heated bed.
February 04, 2016 03:46PM
Roger on that, would it be wise to just purchase a new board or try to pick some of the fuses up? Also, is there a better ramps board or should I just go with the original one? Thanks again guys for all the help!
February 04, 2016 06:46PM
Besides the fuse, I've had no problems with my board. I'm home now so here's the picture I promised:

February 05, 2016 03:32AM
Well I tried to solder on a 15amp fuse tonight and once I removed the fuse holder all the tabs came free frome the board...ugh! Where is the best place to pick up a new board besides eBay so I can get my printer back up and running.
February 05, 2016 04:53AM
Reprapper13
Well I tried to solder on a 15amp fuse tonight and once I removed the fuse holder all the tabs came free frome the board...ugh! Where is the best place to pick up a new board besides eBay so I can get my printer back up and running.

GEEETECH seems to be the manufacturer for those boards [www.geeetech.com]
They are based in china but there are distributors [www.geeetech.com] so have a look down the list and see if there is a company that's nearer to you.
I would buy from/support them rather than trying to source a board from eBay.

Supporting 3D Printers with Parts and Build services.
Printer: Ormerod 2 (528.4) Duel extruder set-up with Aluminium X-Rib, RRPro Firmware v1.11-ch (2016-04-08)
February 18, 2016 03:01AM
OK guys.... Recieved my new GT authentic board and replaced it. Now every time I go to preheat the bed or head the printer dies down like it is not getting enough juice or something? Would the power supply be the problem? It worked before and now every time I try to preheat or start a print it bogs down. Here is what power supply my printer came with. It states on the sticker of the power supply 12V-15amps Max.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2016 03:03AM by Reprapper13.
February 18, 2016 03:14AM
A better view of that label would be helpful, being bogged down is sign that it's not able to supply the current needed.
I been able to make out the following
model TOP- 12160E
Output 12v at (I think 15A)
If that's correct it's under powered and from reading it's label it's more suitable for powering LED strips, there are many other posts upon the forum that give links to better one. As it needs to be at least 12v @ 25 to 30Amps

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2016 03:14AM by orictosh.

Printer: Ormerod 2 (528.4) Duel extruder set-up with Aluminium X-Rib, RRPro Firmware v1.11-ch (2016-04-08)
February 18, 2016 03:25AM
Thanks for the quick response. You are correct it is a 12v 15Amp max power supply, so it is severely under powered... Geesh! Any one have some links to purchase the right one that would be the best one for the printer? Could I just search amazon or eBay and use one that is 12v @25-30 Amps? Thanks again all for the help in advance!
February 18, 2016 07:33AM
Any electronic system experts on here that can help Reprapper13?
My 15A supply is OK for my system. If your bed heater has a resistance of less than 1.5ohms you may have an issue.
For a 15A fuse to blow I would expect you had a short on the bed wiring/controller. You may have replaced the board but if there is still a short then you can be causing power loss to the other functions. If it persists you may just fry your new board as I don't think any of them are capable of sustaining current over 12A. I would check the wiring to the bed heater and ensure the solder pads are insulated if you have an Alloy bed.
This assumes the fuse was for the bed only - as mentioned earlier.
February 18, 2016 07:56AM
The PSU supplied with the RRP Pro Kit was an Model SP-200
If looking on eBay the best sellers are the ones that sell CCTV systems. They will look the same as the one you have but have a larger output amps rating.
You might also have a loose earth mains connection, so check they are connected.
Also check the ground connections are tight

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login